Funerals (yours)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I remember aged about eight I was taken to my grandfather's cremation. My dad had explained to me what a cremation was, and I distinctly remember being massively disappointed when the coffin went through the curtains that I couldn't see the flames of the furnace on the other side.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'd like a celebration of life, non religious. My Gran's was religious but it was very nice that all 4 grandkids stood up and told funny stories of what Gran did in her life. I'd like to think someone would do the same for me. It did help the survivors look back on the day with a smile. I don't want anyone to be pining over me and I often think a sombre send-off doesn't help matters one bit

A funeral of a friend a couple of years back was just that. No maudling stuff. She wanted everyone to wear what she would have remembered you in. Her running group all turned up in their running gear. I wore camo shorts and a heavy metal t-shirt. It was so much more formal and less stuffy then a usual funeral.
Her wake was great fun, a celebration. She would have loved it. It was a great send off.

Is it legal to be buried in your garden? I am glad that my garden doesn't have deep enough soil layer for a grave, I'd hate to find out there was a grave in my garden after I'd bought the house. I think that would have me getting the body reinterred somewhere else then I'd move at the first opportunity.

I'm sorry but that's the way I feel, deceased should be interred in defined locations IMHO, and tbh I'm not too keen on scattering of ashes anywhere you like neither. I think society can be too indulgent to people grieving with things like funeral requests. We don't handle death as well as we could.

That reminds me about something. Cycling in Scotland with our then not yet 3 year old we cycled past a cemetery. Our son is bright and inquisitive so asked about what a cemetery is. Now you can't really go into details with a child that age. So we told him it was where people go when they die, that kind of concerned him. Me being me then said when you die you go into the stars, but your body goes in the ground and we put a stone on your head. He liked that idea and we moved on happy again. I think that's kind of a good explanation for a young kid.

richardfm

Veteran
Is it legal to be buried in your garden? I am glad that my garden doesn't have deep enough soil layer for a grave, I'd hate to find out there was a grave in my garden after I'd bought the house. I think that would have me getting the body reinterred somewhere else then I'd move at the first opportunity.

I'm sorry but that's the way I feel, deceased should be interred in defined locations IMHO, and tbh I'm not too keen on scattering of ashes anywhere you like neither. I think society can be too indulgent to people grieving with things like funeral requests. We don't handle death as well as we could.

That reminds me about something. Cycling in Scotland with our then not yet 3 year old we cycled past a cemetery. Our son is bright and inquisitive so asked about what a cemetery is. Now you can't really go into details with a child that age. So we told him it was where people go when they die, that kind of concerned him. Me being me then said when you die you go into the stars, but your body goes in the ground and we put a stone on your head. He liked that idea and we moved on happy again. I think that's kind of a good explanation for a young kid.

I don't know about anywhere else, but it is legal in Scotland. We checked up after we found out what my dad's wife had done. I don't remember the details but it was something like telling the council and putting it on the deeds

FishFright

More wheels than sense
I'm with you Dave.
My dear departed Mum was a spiritualist who believed all the after life crap, trying to contact my Dad after he died and all that. Quite upsetting to see.
It's just that, crap. Something for people to hold on to, and that's fair enough if that's their thing and gives some sort of comfort.
As far as I am concerned we will just be dust or worm food and that's it.

One of my grandma's was the same , even after she remarried . My grandad died young from complications after being under a roof fall in a coal mine.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
It can be a bugger but I absolutely refuse to roll over and lay down meekly. Also I want at least nine professional opinions to confirm anything.

bobzmyunkle

I've walked up around innominate tarn before now and wind somehow blew a bit of grit between my teeth. I always wonder if that could be Wainwright?
I spread a friend's ashes on the fells last summer. There was quite a lot more of them than I imagined. Luckily it was windy enough to carry them away and there wasn't anyone in the immediate vicinity to end up eating grit. (Or at least to trace the grit back to me).

Ideally I'd like my body left for the lammergeiers in the Pyrenees, but I suspect that's not allowed.

presta

Guru
Trebuchet maybe?
A Mongolian air burial you mean? I rather like the idea of that, but as we don't have any vultures to throw the bits to, I don't suppose it'll be allowed. I suppose I could still go to Mongolia though.
There aren't any pockets in shrouds
I might get a bespoke one made, and have it all cremated with me.
I've walked up around innominate tarn before now and wind somehow blew a bit of grit between my teeth. I always wonder if that could be Wainwright?
It might have been my father, he beat Wainwright to it by 2.5 years. He never said anything about what he wanted, but as I recalled him saying "It's a poor do if a gravestone is the best thing you can find to remember someone by", I had him cremated.
When my father died his wife didn't tell me or my siblings until after he had been buried
When my mother died they didn't tell me until the Bank refused to deal with my cousins.

presta

Guru
Has anyone got Damien Hirst's phone number?

e-Mind-of-Someone-Living-1991-artwork-photo-via-GQ.jpg

Top Bottom