Funerals (yours)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Or perhaps I'll leave it to anyone willing to ride naked to the funeral on a horse drawn hearse.

That narrows it down to one CCr as far as I know.

For me, i want to be stuffed into the barrel of a gun on HMS Warspite and fired at Dönitz's finest...

HMS is the third nuclear powered v boat submarine. I'm service 1967 and famous for running into a Russian sub. Laid up in Devonport since 1991 awaiting disposal. The seventh warspite in the Royal navy. An honourable name.

I'm sure you meant the ship warspite not the boat warspite (ships if bigger than a certain size unless a submarine in which case it's a boat at whatever size). The last ship with that name ran aground in the late 40s and scrapped in the 50s. Was the most decorated in WWII gaining 15 battle honours from 1913 when it went into service.

If you want that, you better find HG Wells time machine.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
For a while I was taken with the idea (suggested on CC I think) of having a simple non-religious service, but once the cutrains close behind the coffin, there's 30-40 seconds of a humming noise followed by a loud 'ping'.

Now looking to sort out a direct cremation plan and then letting any surviving relatives decide what sort of celebration (if any) they want to have of my life. Money will be left in my will to provide for any do that is held. My mum & stepdad have already organised theirs through the Co-Op.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
HMS is the third nuclear powered v boat submarine. I'm service 1967 and famous for running into a Russian sub. Laid up in Devonport since 1991 awaiting disposal. The seventh warspite in the Royal navy. An honourable name.

I'm sure you meant the ship warspite not the boat warspite (ships if bigger than a certain size unless a submarine in which case it's a boat at whatever size). The last ship with that name ran aground in the late 40s and scrapped in the 50s. Was the most decorated in WWII gaining 15 battle honours from 1913 when it went into service.

If you want that, you better find HG Wells time machine.

Indeed. HMS Warspite (03).

I did a little thing on it here with pics a while ago.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/a...f-anything-thread.262567/page-79#post-6923699

Indeed. HMS Warspite (03).

I did a little thing on it here with pics a while ago.

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/a...f-anything-thread.262567/page-79#post-6923699

Of course the final warspite was a nuclear sub in service from 1965 to 1991. It was part of our continuous service from 1969 where at least one nuclear powered submarine carrying nuclear missiles was at sea at all times. Don't believe those English language, French owned naval capability websites that say there was about 6 months without a boat at sea. We are possibly one of the very few to maintain this deterrent and the French navy which has a many nuclear subs as royal navy has never managed this nor claim that capability.

The warspite submarine was in service right through the height of the cold War. It was around I believe during the 60s Cuban missile crisis and certainly when we came closest to full scale nuclear war in 1984 I believe. It might not have had the battle honours of its immediate predecessor but it had a truly honourable service too. Plus the men with the dolphins who manned her! I bet they had plenty of dits to tell!

Is it legal to be buried in your garden? I am glad that my garden doesn't have deep enough soil layer for a grave, I'd hate to find out there was a grave in my garden after I'd bought the house. I think that would have me getting the body reinterred somewhere else then I'd move at the first opportunity.

I'm sorry but that's the way I feel, deceased should be interred in defined locations IMHO, and tbh I'm not too keen on scattering of ashes anywhere you like neither. I think society can be too indulgent to people grieving with things like funeral requests. We don't handle death as well as we could.

That reminds me about something. Cycling in Scotland with our then not yet 3 year old we cycled past a cemetery. Our son is bright and inquisitive so asked about what a cemetery is. Now you can't really go into details with a child that age. So we told him it was where people go when they die, that kind of concerned him. Me being me then said when you die you go into the stars, but your body goes in the ground and we put a stone on your head. He liked that idea and we moved on happy again. I think that's kind of a good explanation for a young kid.

My parents asked me to make a wooden container for my grandmothers ashes so they could bury them in the garden; I used untreated pine and traditional animal glue so it would rot down quickly, and with my mother's enthusiasm for applying compost on the surface I doubt there's much left a decade later.

There's a suspicion that my great grandmothers ashes were 'interred' in the family plot one dark night using a trowel, after her kids refused to pay internment costs for adding another urn to "their" grave.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
There's a suspicion that my great grandmothers ashes were 'interred' in the family plot one dark night using a trowel, after her kids refused to pay internment costs for adding another urn to "their" grave.

my aunt died before her dog. the dogs ashes were added to the plot in the church yard using a similar method about a year later.

Top Bottom