Funniest ever TV moment?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A little known moment from Rick Stein's tour of britain show...had me in stitches.

He was visiting a black pudding maker in Stacksteads, Rossendale (Lancs) called Andy Holt. They've been making award winning black puddings for years. I'm from that part of the world and know the culture/accent/attitude v well. They are really salt of the earth people, call a spade a spade, and the accent is a very weird mixture of lancs and yorks and very broad.

Anyhoo, Andy Holt's sidekick is showing Rick how to make black puddings. They boil them up, Rick tastes them and says to the salt of the earth local guy 'these would be great with potatoes duaphinoises'

The Lancashire guy looks at him blankly

Rick: 'You know, potatoes dauphinoises'

The Lancashire guy, with a look of complete incredulity, says in the broadest possible accent 'I don't know, I'm from Lancashire' cutting Rick dead. Subtext: 'you pretentious southern twunt'

I nearly wet myself laughing, but you had to be there, I guess - and be from Lancashire to appreciate it.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Del boy's bar counter mishap was exactly the scene I thought of when I saw this thread. Closely followed by Basil Fawlty returning to the hotel with his head bandaged after sneaking out of hospital in "The Germans".

You just knew the rest of the episode was going to be hilarious.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Father Ted: Now concentrate this time, Dougal. These
[he points to some plastic cows on the table]
Father Ted: are very small; those
[pointing at some cows out of the window]
Father Ted: are far away...

and

Father Ted: Ah, Sister Assumpta!
Sister Assumpta: Hello Father!
Father Ted: Dougal, Dougal, do you remember Sister Assumpta?
Father Dougal: Er, no.
Father Ted: She was here last year! And then we stayed with her in the convent, back in Kildare. Do you remember it? Ah, you do! And then you were hit by the car when you went down to the shops for the paper. You must remember all that? And then you won a hundred pounds with your lottery card? Ah, you must remember it, Dougal!
[Dougal shakes his head]
Sister Assumpta: And weren't you accidentally arrested for shoplifting? I remember we had to go down to the police station to get you!... And the police station went on fire? And you had to be rescued by helicopter?
Father Ted: Do you remember? You can't remember any of that? The helicopter! When you fell out of the helicopter! Over the zoo! Do you remember the tigers?
[Dougal shakes his head some more]
Father Ted: You don't remember? You were wearing your blue jumper.
Father Dougal: Ah, Sister Assumpta!

and

Father Ted: It's not as if everyone's going to go off and join some mad religious cult just because we go off for a picnic for a couple of hours.
Father Dougal: God, Ted, I heard about those cults. Everyone dressing in black and saying our Lord's gonna come back and judge us all!
Father Ted: No... No, Dougal, that's us. That's Catholicism.

Very, very funny

Andrew

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cheers for those - laughing as I type... :tongue: Almost any snippet of Father Ted would do.

I liked the tannoy over the creditd at the episode with the fair... Something like:

"Would a nurse please come to the Tunnel of Goats, as a small child has become lodged in the tunnel"

Pause

"Would another nurse please come to the Tunnel of Goats, where the first nurse has now become lodged with the child and the goat..."

and so on...

Huh! Just listening to my itunes and Divine Comedy's "Songs of Love" - the Father Ted theme - came on as I typed that...

But Del Boy and the bar is a classic. The perfect timing, and even though you KNOW now, it's still somehow a surprise.

Gasman

Old enough to know better, too old to care!
My all time favourite was a Monty Python moment. I was about 15 (I'm 43 now) and, entering an unusually empty living room, stuck on the telly, having no idea what was on, just in time to see the BBC2 logo fade out as a programme started.

Up came a very effective dramatic scene of a deserted, shingly beach late at night. Out of the darkness came a small boat full of non-comedy looking smugglers. Silently, they pulled the boat onto the shore then stood, looking very tense, gazing up the beach. After a few moments a light flashed from the top of the beach and they started unloading their cargo and carrying it ashore. As the camera followed them they passed behind a large rock perched on top of which was a large desk. Sitting at the desk was a pinstripe suited and Brylcreemed John Cleese who shuffled his papers looked up and announced,

'And now for something completely different!'

I must have spent about 5 minutes laughing uncontrollably. So much so that my mum and at least one sister came dashing in to see what all the noise was about.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
cisamcgu said:
Father Ted:

[/B] Ah, Sister Assumpta!
Sister Assumpta: Hello Father!
Father Ted: Dougal, Dougal, do you remember Sister Assumpta?
Father Dougal: Er, no.
Father Ted: She was here last year! And then we stayed with her in the convent, back in Kildare. Do you remember it? Ah, you do! And then you were hit by the car when you went down to the shops for the paper. You must remember all that? And then you won a hundred pounds with your lottery card? Ah, you must remember it, Dougal!
[Dougal shakes his head]
Sister Assumpta: And weren't you accidentally arrested for shoplifting? I remember we had to go down to the police station to get you!... And the police station went on fire? And you had to be rescued by helicopter?
Father Ted: Do you remember? You can't remember any of that? The helicopter! When you fell out of the helicopter! Over the zoo! Do you remember the tigers?
[Dougal shakes his head some more]
Father Ted: You don't remember? You were wearing your blue jumper.
Father Dougal: Ah, Sister Assumpta!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Cheers Fnarr, there goes the afternoon. And they have the Video for My Lovely Horse!

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Or the F'Ted one where they're pondering the square of dirt on the window for ages (and also where ted's being accused of racism by all and sundry).......... later on ted, being over friendly and eager to dispel the racist accusations, waves frantically to the new chinese family outside- cut to outside where the chinese family are looking in at ted gesticulating a'la hitler with the square patch of dirt positioned cunningly under his nose.

Truly, painfully funny.

OP
OP
Bigtallfatbloke

Bigtallfatbloke

...I laughed a lot at the start to the second Pirates of the Caribean film where Jack shoots the crow from inside his floating coffin:biggrin::biggrin:

Pottsy

Not really TV but a film. Wayne's World when they guys are singing Bohemian Rhapsody in the back of the car, always makes me laugh.

Top Bottom