Funny things you remember from your childhood

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi,
I remember many moons ago when i was a kid, we used to have a really long garden. Im fact it was massive at well over 100 metres long.
It was all lawn and stepped down into three tiers. From the kitchen you had a birds eye view.
Every Sunday my dad would get out the old petrol Suffolk Punch lawnmower and start cutting the lawn. He was very meticulous about keeping the strips perfect and did a really good job of it.
That was until lunchtime. After doing half he would sneak off down the pub for a few jars and then come back later on worse for wear. He would then fire up the lawn mower and finish it off.
It was an awful sight watching him staggering around trying to control that heavy self propelled contraption with a skin full of beer.
By the time he'd finished we had a lovely stripy lawn at the top and the bottom (well I'll leave that to your imagination)
We used to be the laughing stock of neighbours around as our long garden was on show to everyone who walked by. Thinking back now it was so funny 💭😂

Sharky

Guru
Hi,
I remember many moons ago when i was a kid, we used to have a really long garden. Im fact it was massive at well over 100 metres long.
It was all lawn and stepped down into three tiers. From the kitchen you had a birds eye view.
Every Sunday my dad would get out the old petrol Suffolk Punch lawnmower and start cutting the lawn. He was very meticulous about keeping the strips perfect and did a really good job of it.
That was until lunchtime. After doing half he would sneak off down the pub for a few jars and then come back later on worse for wear. He would then fire up the lawn mower and finish it off.
It was an awful sight watching him staggering around trying to control that heavy self propelled contraption with a skin full of beer.
By the time he'd finished we had a lovely stripy lawn at the top and the bottom (well I'll leave that to your imagination)
We used to be the laughing stock of neighbours around as our long garden was on show to everyone who walked by. Thinking back now it was so funny 💭😂
You mean that he left the lawn half cut and then left the pub half cut.

pawl

Legendary Member
Some times my dad had his cap on when he was in the house If I asked he would say too keep my feet warm or if I said dad what’s this object and he didn’t know he would say it’s a whim wam for a woser. No idea what he meant,I don’t think he did either.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
My funniest childhood memory is of something that happened during a family visit up North to my grandparents in Redcar. While we were at their place, my mum sneezed her false teeth into a roaring coal fire in the fireplace and had to scream for assistance from my dad, whose tricky job it was to retrieve them from the grate with a poker. My brother and I were incapacitated with laughter.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Some times my dad had his cap on when he was in the house If I asked he would say too keep my feet warm

I do that. I give my forever questioning daughter the ridiculous answer to the obvious question she just asked, and she eventually works out the truth herself. It's a form of education right? Sarcastic education, but education all the same.

if I said dad what’s this object and he didn’t know he would say it’s a whim wam for a woser. No idea what he meant,I don’t think he did either.

It sounds like you're Bill Cosby's son, in the best way possible. It's a film flam for the jim jam, in the flubalalloo, with the whizzamapop and the de-jumb bom de whizz pop!

pclay

Veteran
Seeing white dog poo on the pavement.

clid61

Veteran
Age 5 going into bathroom and seeing a strange man in there . Ran down crying to tell mum , however the strange man turned out to be my dad who had just shaved his beard off which he had since I was born , bastard ! Keep reminding him too :smile:

Drago

Legendary Member
When I was about 8 or nine a group of us were climbing a large tree when one of our number fell out, headbutted the ground, and lay there twitching. Like the good boys we were we all ran off and hid. At the time it was scary, but looking back it makes me chuckle.

D

Deleted member 26715

Sitting my my dad's car looking at the price of the petrol 33p a Gallon (1972ish possibly), I know it's not funny, but an early memory.

The funny one was being under 5 year old as we moved to a new house before my birthday, I had been sent upstairs to fetch the hand hair clippers, on my way down I had tried them on my fringe.

Top Bottom