Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The only place, locally, that has highland cattle is on the north side of Hardcastle Craggs. Not available on street view.
I found those at Widdop and beyond... I freaked @potsy out with them!

I actually found another one below Height Rd above Mytholmroyd...

Tribansman

Veteran
That's it!

I was probably a little bit further back, and don't forget, the SV camera would be significantly higher than mine.

The other photo I found was taken at Widdop reservoir itself...

View attachment 590650

The road is on the other side of the wall on the right.

The original picture was taken below the hill, ahead right - Boulsworth Hill, the highest in the area until you get to Pendle Hill. The summit of Boulsworth Hill is Lad Law... Boy's Rules? I'll fetch me coat!

Over to you.
Thanks Colin, a good challenge that one. Looked all over Calderdale before returning to my first thought and taking a punt on it just being a different perspective!

Brew then bed for me now, will have a ponder and post another tough one tomorrow

T4tomo

Legendary Member
That's it!

I was probably a little bit further back, and don't forget, the SV camera would be significantly higher than mine.

The other photo I found was taken at Widdop reservoir itself...

The road is on the other side of the wall on the right.

The original picture was taken below the hill, ahead right - Boulsworth Hill, the highest in the area until you get to Pendle Hill. The summit of Boulsworth Hill is Lad Law... Boy's Rules? I'll fetch me coat!

Over to you.
a cryptic clue so obscure, none of it appears on google maps for those without local knowledge!:laugh::laugh::wacko:

Some of us do .... I found Lad Law at about the same time as I found the correct spot on Streetview (combining the 13km Todmorden radius clue with the unfenced road appearance and the parked car clue). I dismissed it, after considerable deliberation, due to it not looking at all like the photo. Hmph!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Some of us do .... I found Lad Law at about the same time as I found the correct spot on Streetview (combining the 13km Todmorden radius clue with the unfenced road appearance and the parked car clue). I dismissed it, after considerable deliberation, due to it not looking at all like the photo. Hmph!
I checked with the corrected info about the Dales/Norland Moor and the distance from Tod. Assuming that the spot was roughly equidistant from Skipton and Norland Moor, draw a line obeying that condition. I said the location was significantly within 13 km from Todmorden that distance, so maybe guess 5-10 km (it is actually 10 km) and draw arcs representing those distances. Look for a minor unfenced road close to the line and within the arcs and there aren't many choices. Crown Point (south of Burnley) would have been another contender.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I don't have an extensive collection in the office no Colin:laugh::wacko:.. bing maps O/S mode is as close as I get.

Is that a free online OS source you've found or a subscription one?

to be honest the combo of your vague clues, it not being a street view and the cows having wandered off with boredom made it a bit of a
1622019083290.png
to solve! :laugh:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Is that a free online OS source you've found or a subscription one?
Neither - I bought whole-GB OS digital maps before the subscription model became popular. If I didn't already own them, I would subscribe now. It amazes me that on my phone (and all of my other devices) I have the whole of Britain at 1:250,000, 1:50,000, 1:25,000 and 1:10,000 scales!

classic33

Leg End Member
*GASP* - don't we all use OS maps!? :whistle:

View attachment 590681
There's the Lad(d) Stone on Norland Moor, where trials were held in days gone by.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

The cattle hadn't strayed far
I couldn't find them on Street view!

It's been a few years since I last saw them around there in fact, and I usually do that road at least 6 or 7 times a year. It is one of my favourite local roads. It usually doesn't have much traffic on it, is very scenic, has varied terrain for hard efforts and recovery, and fits nicely into various loops that I do.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I suppose it might be slightly easier if I used a proper map, rather than road atlas from 2015 with a scale of one inch to four miles.:unsure:

OS maps have sent me details of how to subscribe to their maps (all 607). I might eventually get back to Portinscale, situated on the opposite side of the lake to Keswick. As well as plotting a route for a walk, would I be able to see the 3d view?

Top Bottom