Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
See reply to @classic33! (Norland Moor is 13 km east of here)

Actually, I don't think you will get the answer without more help so... It may look like bandit country, but Boy's Rules apply! :whistle:
struggling even with those clues, the only roads I can find over open unfenced moorland (which is what the phot suggests) are A roads or at least have white line down them, or are unsurfaced!! I found a Scout rd, but that wasn't it either :wacko: found a man wiuth a dog, but not parked car!

figbat

Slippery scientist
Did tha ave tha hat?
This insight suggests Ilkley Moor - still not found it though.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
If Colin means the Photo location is 13km east of Noland Moor it can't be Ilkley Moor as that is North East of Norland.

Edit cross post with @T4tomo

location is west of Norland actually ....
See reply to @classic33! (Norland Moor is 13 km east of here)

Actually, I don't think you will get the answer without more help so... It may look like bandit country, but Boy's Rules apply!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I told Classic that Norland Moor was a much better guess than Scotland, and a better guess than somewhere in the Yorkshire Dales, but still only vaguely near. Norland Moor is 13 km from here, so that tells you that the photo was taken within a 13 km radius of Todmorden. 'Significantly' within...

The path off to the left is marked on the OS map as a footpath, the one to the right is not. It is 'access land'.

The cryptic clue refers to the hill ahead on the right...

I have another photo of Highland cattle taken on the same road that would probably give it away. Let's see if the extra clues in this post are enough first...

Venod

Eh up
location is west of Norland actually ....
Yes thats what I meant to type :wacko:

But it seems I miss interpreted the the answer gave to Classic33 as Colin meant Norland Moor is 13km from Tod not the photo location, I had been looking round Walsden area.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Sorry - I obviously had a bit of a brainfart! :blush:

It turns out that Norland Moor would be about as good a guess as some parts of the Yorkshire Dales, but still only a lukewarm guess... NEITHER area is within 13 kms of the location!

It IS true that the location IS well within a 13 km range of Todmorden.

On a clear day, Boy's Rules allow(s) you to see Blackpool Tower! :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

You should be able to triangulate to get a small enough area to be able to spot the road, and THEN you will see what the clue means.

Tribansman

Veteran
I took the photo myself. There are no cows shown on Street view, so they won't help, unless you happen to know somewhere where I have been, not in Scotland (or between Settle and Airton), that has Highland cattle wandering about!

The equivalent Street view picture has a car parked on the left.
The streetview spot I've found doesn't look much like your photo, but from the info In your post above, is it Ridehalgh Lane, about here...? I did have a feeling it looked Widdop-y from the off.

Screenshot_20210525-221459_Maps.jpg

Maybe it looks so different as you took your pic from the left hand side of the road, or maybe I'm just wrong! :laugh:...

classic33

Leg End Member
The streetview spot I've found doesn't look much like your photo, but from the info In your post above, is it Ridehalgh Lane, about here...? I did have a feeling it looked Widdop-y from the off.

View attachment 590643

Maybe it looks so different as you took your pic from the left hand side of the road, or maybe I'm just wrong! :laugh:...
There's a wall in your picture.

Tribansman

Veteran
It's quite obviously too late to be poring over street view and noticing little things like walls :laugh:

Edit: or maybe not! On closer inspection that 'wall' on street view looks like a dug over bit of earth

Last edited:
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

View attachment 590643

That's it!

I was probably a little bit further back, and don't forget, the SV camera would be significantly higher than mine.

The other photo I found was taken at Widdop reservoir itself...

The road is on the other side of the wall on the right.

The original picture was taken below the hill, ahead right - Boulsworth Hill, the highest in the area until you get to Pendle Hill. The summit of Boulsworth Hill is Lad Law... Boy's Rules? I'll fetch me coat!

Over to you.

Top Bottom