Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It certainly avoids Buttertubs. Most of the climbs around Buttertubs are notably harder and much nicer roads than Buttertubs though, so that's a very good thing :-)
I've only ridden Buttertubs once and my memory of it has been obliterated by the near-miss when I nearly slipped and fell into one of them! I had thought it was a nice road. What is wrong with it... too busy?

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Tine for @ColinJ to seek out a publisher. A lovingly presented book of climbs and cycling roads, but you have to guess/figure out where they are. You can buy the extra book with clues in too.

It could be published with the Times cryptic crossword.

I've only ridden Buttertubs once and my memory of it has been obliterated by the near-miss when I nearly slipped and fell into one of them! I had thought it was a nice road. What is wrong with it... too busy?
Nothing actually wrong with it, it just compares unfavourably with the other crossings between Wensleydale and Swaledale. It's certainly the busiest of the roads around there, yes, but still not 'busy' as such; just busy by Dales standards. Both sides of Oxnop Scar are harder, so are both sides of Fleak Moss, and probably that's true of at least one side of Greets Moss (Grinton); probably both. It seems to have its reputation due to being the major driving route and having a fun name.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
It certainly avoids Buttertubs. Most of the climbs around Buttertubs are notably harder and much nicer roads than Buttertubs though, so that's a very good thing :-)
Yep still plenty of climbing!! I've only been over that way once, and we did Buttertubs as we were doing some of the prior years TdeF route (also cray and Grinton moor). Didn't see much traffic and thought it was a decent climb, but on researching on this thread, I agree there are some cracking even more minor roads over the top between the valleys too.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Interesting history that @Aravis and it's a breathtaking place.

Another street view one from me as I've run out of interesting roads that I have my own pictures of. The weather was exactly like this when I rode it...

View attachment 598749
has anyone got this yet?
have we even narrowed it down to England, Scotland or Wales or that other place beyond the Isle of Man?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Loch Trool!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Getting slightly concerned as to the whereabouts of @Tribansman himself rather than his road... does anyone know him personally?
Hopefully, he has just been busy doing other things for a few days?

I usually wait for confirmation, but since it is clearly right and I have one waiting...

I think this will be instantly recognisable for anybody who has cycled round there, and there are several clues in the picture to help narrow the search for those who haven't!

3, 2, 1 - GO - Name That Road!

Aravis

Putrid Donut
@ColinJ your latest one is a view of Bird Rock, near Tywyn in West Wales. I can't see a name for the road.

I camped in the vicinity once with the family, at a rather wild site with excellent river bathing within the boundary.

Bird Rock is so named, I believe, because it retains a nesting colony of cormorants, left over from the time before the river silted up several thousand years ago, leaving them several miles from the sea.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

@ColinJ your latest one is a view of Bird Rock, near Tywyn in West Wales. I can't see a name for the road.

View attachment 599747

I camped in the vicinity once with the family, at a rather wild site with excellent river bathing within the boundary.

Bird Rock is so named, I believe, because it retains a nesting colony of cormorants, left over from the time before the river silted up several thousand years ago, leaving them several miles from the sea.
I had a feeling that you might get it! More a case of 'identify' the road this time... My OS 1:10,000 map doesn't have a name for it either.

I had a holiday in nearby LLwyngwril about 30 years ago. I hired a bike and went out round there. and remembered that hillside being very distinctive.

I can't remember exactly where it was on my route back but there was an exceptionally deceptive road which appeared to be going uphill at about 5% but I was going so fast that I realised it must actually have been slightly downhill! :wacko: (It wasn't a monster tailwind - I did end up near enough back at sea level.)

Over to you again...

Top Bottom