Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I think this one should fit the challenge to a T:

Apart from the dust on the image, there's little to give away the vintage. It's actually scanned from a 1969 colour slide.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I don't know where that road is, but it reminded me of one that I had ridden somewhere round here. It took me a while to work out that I was thinking of Tarn Ln, above Keighley... It has a similar rollercoaster-like surface.

I've only ridden two roads so straight and undulating, the Fosse Way and the the B6318 alongside Hadrian's Wall.

Which is handy, because I'm 99% certain it's the B6318 alongside Hadrian's Wall. I haven't found the exact spot yet.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Exactly right. @Edwardoka. I fancy that the actual spot is a few hundred yards further back, about here:

Remarkably little change in over 50 years. The expression "to a T" was of course a reference to Once/Twice Brewed. I would have made a bit more of that had it been necessary.

Over to @Edwardoka :hello:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
The expression "to a T" was of course a reference to Once/Twice Brewed. I would have made a bit more of that had it been necessary.
Ah ... "Of course" ;) I puzzled over that and searched around but didn't get it. Sometimes the picture has to be used to get the clue!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Exactly right. @Edwardoka. I fancy that the actual spot is a few hundred yards further back, about here:

View attachment 599901

Remarkably little change in over 50 years. The expression "to a T" was of course a reference to Once/Twice Brewed. I would have made a bit more of that had it been necessary.

Over to @Edwardoka :hello:
and there was me looking for very straight roads leading towards a golf course somewhere near Kingsclere :blush:

I don't have many photos of roads that aren't very distinctive. Hopefully this one is obscure enough to be a good challenge.
Name that road!
20150419_103333.jpg

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I had a feeling that you might get it! More a case of 'identify' the road this time... My OS 1:10,000 map doesn't have a name for it either.

I had a holiday in nearby LLwyngwril about 30 years ago. I hired a bike and went out round there. and remembered that hillside being very distinctive.

I can't remember exactly where it was on my route back but there was an exceptionally deceptive road which appeared to be going uphill at about 5% but I was going so fast that I realised it must actually have been slightly downhill! :wacko: (It wasn't a monster tailwind - I did end up near enough back at sea level.)

Over to you again...

Why do you post images of roads (I know) when I’m out on the bike? I’ve climbed at bird rock a few times over the years. We used to call it bird shoot rock for obvious reasons.

Last edited:

Mr Celine

Discordian
<Shudder>
Nearly thirty years ago the now Mrs Celine and myself set out to backpack the length of the Southern Upland Way from Portpatrick to Cockburnspath. This is not one of the more popular long distance walks, possibly because the few miles of lovely coastal scenery at the start is followed by interminable dull stretches on tarmac or forest roads. ("I spy with my little eye, something beginning with T...")

After two days I started suffering from terminal blisters. We decided to have a day off by only walking five km to the campsite at Loch Trool and staying there. On the way there was a section of path on a boardwalk through a deeply shady oak wood. Mrs Celine was bouncing along a few paces in front and sending up clouds of flies. Which all headed my direction. And landed on me. Oh f*** they're wasps!! I sprinted past a bemused Mrs Celine and in the process disturbed another two wasp bykes under the boardwalk, which contributed further reinforcements to the angry hoard. I ran half way across the next field before stopping to inspect the dozen or so stings on each leg, whilst the tranquility of the Galloway countryside was disturbed only by Mrs Celine laughing. She had stayed stock still then found another way out of the wood and wasn't stung once.

Loch Trool itself was delightful. I bathed my aching, stung, blistered feet and legs in its cool waters. We went back to the tent and cooked our dinner. As we started to eat it we were joined by what appeared to be every midge from the western highlands come to Galloway for their summer holidays. With no nearby pub to take refuge in we sat in the zipped up tent from 7pm.

Next morning was dull, cloudy and very still. Some camping tasks cannot be done from inside a zipped up tent, particularly taking it down and packing it up. The previous evening's midges had returned and been joined by all their friends and relatives for a breakfast feast.
We set off along a delightful path along the bank of Loch Trool. After five minutes it started to rain and pissed down all day.

We camped the night in the back garden of a pub in St John's Town of Dalry.
Next day bus to Ayr, train home to Edinburgh.

I have never felt the need to walk a long distance path since.

Mr Celine

Discordian
What the?! It's a literal road to nowhere, far off the beaten trail. it's one of 3 images I took as a panorama, there is virtually no information in the photo
How could you possibly have guessed this

You are a sorceror AICMFP
I have only been there once, in 1988 while on the first camping holiday the now Mrs Celine and I had together. It was also the last long distance trip I had in my pride and joy Cortina 2000E before scrapping it three months later.

Mrs Celine always terrifies me on single track roads. She learned to drive on them in the Trossachs, where there was never anything coming the other way and she still drives on any single track road as if she was at home.

The Diabaig road has corners of very small radius in both horizontal and vertical planes. The mark 3 Cortina had a very long flat bonnet, which while it made parking easy it obscured the road immediately in front of the car.
Mrs Celine was driving. We went up a steep hill and over a crest so sharp that I could only see the sky for what seemed like eternity, before the scenery returned beyond the end of the bonnet revealing the road veering off to the right.
As ever, we remained on the road and nothing untoward happened, which only served to reinforce her belief in the correct manner of driving on highland roads.

This incident did however leave an indelible imprint on my memory, hence me immediately recognising the location. The only thing that's changed is the addition of crash barriers!

I'd better take a work break, will post the next one later.

Top Bottom