Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Spot on @nickyboy

Given all the frequent mentions of Yorkshire on this thread I expected someone to get it straight away.
I was desperately searching on the OS map for a name to base a clue on when I noticed the big A and L of Wensleydale which got into the cheese clues.

Next clue was going to be 'It's between two Lancashire towns'. :laugh: (Castle Bolton and Preston under scar, plus another cheese!)

Over to you.

Last edited:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey

T4tomo

Legendary Member
no idea, but there is a bit to go on for anyone who has been in the locality. interesting shaped structures on the horizon and as @Dogtrousers has pointed out below, if that's a railway line, its certainly not electrified... (it could be a river , but looks more like a railway cutting bank

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
no idea, but there is a bit to go on for anyone who has been in the locality. interesting shaped structures on the horizon and as @Dogtrousers has pointed out below, if that's a railway line, its certainly not electrified... (it could be a river , but looks more like a railway cutting bank
I just checked and that structure on the horizon isn't on Google Maps so it must be new. I can't be more black and white than that

Mr Celine

Discordian
Looks like a wind turbine on the horizon.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I'm sure anyone who'd seen that bridge would recognise it instantly, and I don't. It seems odd that it's so heavily engineered. Railway and canal seem to have been ruled out, and road seems even more unlikely, so there's not much left other than a river.

The road on the other side seems to go through a cutting, which probably it took quite a lot of effort to dig, and I wonder if the road was originally a tramway of some kind. If that's right there's a bit more chance that it's passing over a road, and it might help to explain the heavyweight bridge.

All clutching at straws of course. Black and white looks like a clue.

I'm sure anyone who'd seen that bridge would recognise it instantly, and I don't. It seems odd that it's so heavily engineered. Railway and canal seem to have been ruled out, and road seems even more unlikely, so there's not much left other than a river.

The road on the other side seems to go through a cutting, which probably it took quite a lot of effort to dig, and I wonder if the road was originally a tramway of some kind. If that's right there's a bit more chance that it's passing over a road, and it might help to explain the heavyweight bridge.

All clutching at straws of course. Black and white looks like a clue.
I agree with your assessment. That grading and engineering is deliberate. Probably an old mining track or a construction road for a dam, in either case the bridge would need to be sturdy.

Top Bottom