Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

shnjmsn

Über Member
Which he may do very soon as no one has a clue ! ^_^

Aravis

Putrid Donut
No clue needed, already had it:

Looking South West heading towards the hill above Harlech. The only reason I didn't post an hour or so ago is that I was looking for my next photo. :hyper:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Well done!

I meant to tell you where that was ...

There seem to be 2 types of cyclist - 'Hillophiles' and 'Hillophobes'. (I think of a 'Grimpeur' as being a rider who is good at climbing rather than just enjoying it!) With the name 'Col', I had to like climbs, didn't I! :laugh:

So, when I spotted this very steep climb from the A496 near Harlech, I had to give it a go ... :whistle:

View attachment 411959
View attachment 411960

I knew that there is a gate across the road before the main climb so I used the first few kms as a warm-up. I went through the gate and found a good spot to take the photo, then remounted and attacked the hill, full-gas. Sheep scattered in terror as a cycling tornado swept past them, spraying a shower of gravel behind him ...

Ok, that isn't strictly what happened ... :okay: In reality, I engaged my grovelling gear and rode up as slowly as I could while still keeping my balance. There were sheep on the road ahead of me and I begged them to get out of my way because I knew if I stopped, I would never be able to get going again and would have to walk up! I made it, but it was very hard work. Great views from up there over to Portmeirion (of 'Prisoner' fame - you can see the beach that 'Rover' used to bounce around on at the start of each episode, smothering would-be escapees) and Porthmadog, with the mountains of Snowdonia in the distance and the hills of the Llyn Peninsula somewhat nearer.
Your turn, @Aravis!

Aravis

Putrid Donut
OK then. This isn't as spectacular as some, but I think there are some solid clues. I was on a day ride from my home, about a year ago. I don't think I've posted it before:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Could that be Severn-vale? Forest of Dean hills in the far distance, and maybe a glimpse of the river? Couldn't tell you exactly which/where the road is though!

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Could that be Severn-vale? Forest of Dean hills in the far distance, and maybe a glimpse of the river? Couldn't tell you exactly which/where the road is though!
What looks like water is probably plastic covering over fruit, which occurs quite a lot in the area.

There are some shadows visible under the trees by the bend in the road which gives an indication of the direction I'm looking in, and that should help identify the range of hills.

shnjmsn

Über Member
What looks like water is probably plastic covering over fruit, which occurs quite a lot in the area.

There are some shadows visible under the trees by the bend in the road which gives an indication of the direction I'm looking in, and that should help identify the range of hills.

Hmmmmm............. Minchinhampton common kind of way, looking north maybe ?

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Looks like here: https://goo.gl/maps/vQ275wDncYirEwF29 - junction of Hill Furze Road and Leys Road, NW of Harvington Cross.

Done from the clues above plus the power lines and an OS map.
Just coming down from the Lenches. If you are on the Sunrise Audax you can almost smell the bread pudding on offer at Rafael's in Evesham (and also a little bit lost).

Last edited:
Top Bottom