Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Well done @figbat and @youngoldbloke, a bit of joint effort there. Whoever has one ready, over to you!

I thought the power lines would end up being pretty handy, plus the unfenced road which is quite unusual in that part of the world. Those were the main reasons I thought it was worth posting it.

Good supplementary info from @BrumJim as well.

Bugger, one I actually knew directly from the image and yet I was too slow to read the thread.
And there was me assuming no-one would know it first-hand. The Lenches are great little area to stray into, and the mile or so down the hill in the photo are a couple of minutes of pure bliss.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Well done @figbat and @youngoldbloke, a bit of joint effort there. Whoever has one ready, over to you!

I thought the power lines would end up being pretty handy, plus the unfenced road which is quite unusual in that part of the world. Those were the main reasons I thought it was worth posting it.

And there was me assuming no-one would know it first-hand. The Lenches are great little area to stray into, and the mile or so down the hill in the photo are a couple of minutes of pure bliss.
I go that way a lot (used to anyway) when visiting the MIL for Sunday lunch whilst my wife drives the kids in the car. Now that is pure bliss.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...

And there was me assuming no-one would know it first-hand. The Lenches are great little area to stray into, and the mile or so down the hill, so in the photo are a couple of minutes of pure bliss.
@figbat your turn
- I only figured out the general area - not the road.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I only got the road because you had narrowed down the locale! I'll have to go and get a picture as my picture bank is bare at the moment (for example I'd be impressed if anybody could get the location of my avatar), so if you have one ready-to-go @youngoldbloke then go for it otherwise it may be a small delay before I can get something appropriate.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think it would be ok to cut a picture out of a Streetview image as long as you have actually cycled on that stretch of road. (We don't always stop and take photos of the best bits!)

If you do get your picture from SV, make sure that you crop out anything that identifies it... Example:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I thought the ridge in the background looked like the hills above Uffington, and Streetview seemed to confirm this, but it took a while to get a precise fix on the location.

Just outside the village of Fernham on the road to Uffington.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I thought the ridge in the background looked like the hills above Uffington, and Streetview seemed to confirm this, but it took a while to get a precise fix on the location.

View attachment 519081

Just outside the village of Fernham on the road to Uffington.
Nice work! On this ride I actually went up onto and along that ridge - there's a pretty tough climb at Compton Beauchamp and Knighton Hill.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Nice work! On this ride I actually went up onto and along that ridge - there's a pretty tough climb at Compton Beauchamp and Knighton Hill.
I've never strayed into the area where your picture was taken, but as a teenager in the mid 1970s one of my favourite trips took me out of Newbury on the Wantage road, along the Ridgeway past Uffington White Horse and Wayland's Smithy, then back to Newbury via Lambourn. All on my heavy three-speed town bike, hurtling down rutted descents on the Ridgeway pretending to be Franz Klammer. I remember getting very badly sunburnt on one occasion. There's a tempting-looking hill called Gramp's Hill dropping down to Letcombe Bassett, and one day I varied things by plunging down that without touching the brakes. I survived all these adventures.

I'm happy to pass my turn to @youngoldbloke if he has anything.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Nae bother!

The road through Glen Lonan between Taynuilt and Oban, heading westwards.

A browse of Ordnance Survey maps suggested that roads running along the north-facing sides of east-west oriented valleys are relatively infrequent.

I've thought of one more picture I have which might be suitable. Failing that I'll be out on Sunday and there are a couple of spots I have in mind for this thread.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Another clue was the marshland to the right, which looks like the area close to the summit of a glen where the rivers will soon start to flow in the opposite direction. Given that, it could be inferred that it's somewhere away from the high mountains. Knowing you've been to Mull recently, I had a good idea where to start looking.

Anyway, here's the next one. What do you see?

Top Bottom