Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Any answers need to be checked on Street View and a plausible link and/or screenshot posted... :whistle:

To save you the effort this time - no - but you have just reminded me that I wanted to check the gradient of that stretch of road! :okay:

That stretch of the A58 has an initial 0.7 km at 2.5% from the traffic lights, and then steepens to average 6.3% for 3.6 km. Not a bad guess, but that climb does have some variation in gradient as well as not being quite so steep.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Here is another clue... There is a town at the start of the 3 km ramp.

classic33

Leg End Member
Any answers need to be checked on Street View and a plausible link and/or screenshot posted... :whistle:

To save you the effort this time - no - but you have just reminded me that I wanted to check the gradient of that stretch of road! :okay:

That stretch of the A58 has an initial 0.7 km at 2.5% from the traffic lights, and then steepens to average 6.3% for 3.6 km. Not a bad guess, but that climb does have some variation in gradient as well as not being quite so steep.
And for a major part, only has fields on one side, but sheep on both sides.

That pole on the right, in the picture, is leaning the wrong way as well. Towards the bracing wire.

GuyBoden

Guru
This is the profile of today's proposed return leg (put off until another day because of an overlooked family commitment)...

View attachment 640892
You might think that you were on the right track here, but...
  1. If you calculate the gradients on that profile, you won't find a long stretch at 8.3%
  2. When I said "The climb in question is 8.3% average (and very close to that the whole time) for 3 km", I literally did mean very close to the average - the gradient is remarkably consistent. Especially since the road is nowhere near straight... View attachment 640895 I didn't realise how much I rely on micro-rests during easier sections of climbs until I encountered this beast - it just feels relentless!

What software are you using to calculate these gradients?

I've only used RideWithGPS.com which seems inaccurate, with my little undertanding.

GuyBoden

Guru
Looked instantly familiar, I must've seen a photo of it on CC before. When you say 'nice' climb... do you really mean :cursing: climb?

Slight diversion, concerning a previous NTR, here's Mow Cop, I rode up it very slowly today. the picture shows the steepest section near the pub. I enjoyed the ride, so yes, it's a 'nice' climb, if you ride slowly at your own pace.:smile:
mow-cop-1-jpg.jpg

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

What software are you using to calculate these gradients?
A calculator! :laugh:

(I use Memory Map to plot the profiles and read the numbers off them.)

Slight diversion, concerning a previous NTR, here's Mow Cop, I rode up it very slowly today. the picture shows the steepest section near the pub. I enjoyed the ride, so yes, it's a 'nice' climb, if you ride slowly at your own pace.:smile:
View attachment 640982
And if you have a suitably low gear!

Last edited:

GuyBoden

Guru
Is the NTR in Yorkshire?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

You lot are slacking! :whistle:

You have a clue to the direction (shadow of SV camera). You know that the road is (er, yes) in Yorkshire and climbs at 8.3% from a town which is at an elevation of about 190 m. That road ramp reaches an unusually high elevation (by English standards) of 450 m but then carries on even higher.

I don't drive, didn't get a lift, didn't catch a train, and wasn't terribly fit at the time. I prepared for the ride with a lie-in at home, and slept in my own bed after the ride.

Top Bottom