Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Jeeeeeeez, that was hard! :laugh:

Bakestonedale Rd, near Bollington.

Heritage site is Jodrell Bank, to the SW!

I must do more rides in the Peak District!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I'm wondering if the big lump in the distance is Kinder Scout? It looks to be in about the right direction...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I award myself a C+!

It looks like a lot of roads between here, the Forest of Bowland, and the Yorkshire Dales. I forgot the Peak District!

I can't quite see whether the walls are Millstone Grit or Limestone, but I would be surprised if it is more than (say) 40 kms from Clitheroe, and probably a lot less. Actually, 66 km as the crow flies.

I'd say that the road is heading roughly south, maybe slightly to the east or west, but the sun is high in the sky so it surely has to south-ish. Hadn't anticipated the earliness of the photo - eastish.

I'd also guess that it is at an elevation of (say) 250-300 m. It is above the surrounding countryside, which itself is probably significantly above sea level, but it doesn't look bleak. 359 m.

Oh, and it looks like a minor A-road, a B-road, or at least a country road that gets a significant amount of traffic i.e. it isn't a quiet lane in the middle of nowhere. Pretty quiet, but 3 other vehicles on that stretch of road on Street View.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I'm wondering if the big lump in the distance is Kinder Scout? It looks to be in about the right direction...

Yup, it's Kinder.

Bakestonedale Road is known as "The Brickworks" after the old brickworks near the bottom of the climb. It featured on the stage of the TOB won by Ian Stannard about 4 years ago.

Massively popular with local cyclists, perhaps the most climbed road in the Western side of the Peak.

Over to you

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Bakestonedale Road is known as "The Brickworks" after the old brickworks near the bottom of the climb. It featured on the stage of the TOB won by Ian Stannard about 4 years ago.

Massively popular with local cyclists, perhaps the most climbed road in the Western side of the Peak.
I vaguely remember that stage.

I've heard of 'The Brickworks' climb but didn't know where it was.

Over to you
Ok, courtesy of the mighty Google Street View (sneaky detail removal done using Xara Photo and Graphic Designer)...

Name That Road!

(I suspect that this will be named pretty quickly, but let's see...)

Aravis

Putrid Donut
The angle of the shadows suggests an east-facing coast, and the exotic vegetation indicates SW England. So the target area is South Devon and South Cornwall. I know there are other Gulf Stream warmed spots, particularly western Scotland, but this look too well developed for that.

But the biggest hint is the land visible in the distance on the left, which greatly limits the places it could be. Pretty much the only spot with all the right features is Mousehole, making the distant land the Lizard Peninsula.

A little hunting, and indeed it is Raginnis Hill, Mousehole.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
@Aravis are you going to reveal your earlier legal clue. ..?

Aravis

Putrid Donut
@Aravis are you going to reveal your earlier legal clue. ..?
OK, whoever can solve it now get to post the next one, saving the thread from another of my photos for a while anyway. There can't be a greater incentive than that!

I've already implied that I wasn't hinting at the name of the peak, so what does that leave? There were two key words in my clue; you've all been considering only one of them.

figbat

Slippery scientist
The angle of the shadows suggests an east-facing coast, and the exotic vegetation indicates SW England. So the target area is South Devon and South Cornwall. I know there are other Gulf Stream warmed spots, particularly western Scotland, but this look too well developed for that.

But the biggest hint is the land visible in the distance on the left, which greatly limits the places it could be. Pretty much the only spot with all the right features is Mousehole, making the distant land the Lizard Peninsula.

My knee-jerk reaction was "that looks like Mousehole" but the last time I was there was probably 25 years ago or so - I had intended to do some Google Streetviewing but have been beaten to it.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
To save everyone going back about five pages to find the clue, it was:

"You may not need a law degree to solve this one, but it could help: ..."
I give up.
I'm not sensing great enthusiasm for this particular thread offshoot. :sad:

It's probable that I'm trying to hint at the name of the body of water.

If you have a law degree, which I don't, it's likely to be a Bachelor of Laws, usually abbreviated as LLB - Little Loch Broom.

I really was trying to help.

I've now had time to choose a picture that shouldn't require a cryptic clue. This was taken on a ride but without my bike in shot:

Enjoy this afternoon's stage.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Correct!

My knee-jerk reaction was "that looks like Mousehole" but the last time I was there was probably 25 years ago or so - I had intended to do some Google Streetviewing but have been beaten to it.
That was probably about the time that I was cycling down there.

I took a bike down years ago and did the loop several times during the week that I was there. For days, there was a howling headwind along the coast from Mousehole and Newlyn to Penzance. The wind coming down that climb made it really hard. Then towards the end of the week, the wind suddenly stopped, just as my legs had started to get used to the hill. I felt like I was flying up it that day!

Top Bottom