Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Nice job, @ColinJ, I'm quite happy with that. I think I'd actually taken the brightness down a shade, for "atmosphere".

I think I'd better say that Ben Lawers is a false trail.

From Streetview is is possible to replicate the distant view almost precisely, though of course the vehicle was in the middle of the road so you can't see that. The picture is from 1983, hence the period attire and equipment.

The peak is a Corbett.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hmm... Broad Law is a Corbett! :whistle:

Can't find a suitable view of it though...

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Is the peak Bein Damph?
No, sorry.

I do of course think my clue is in the "how does one not see that?" category, but I have the advantage of knowing how my mind works. Sort of.

On balance I think it's unlikely I'd be leading you to the name of an obscure peak of modest dimensions, although Wikipedia has something very nice to say about it.

Makes it a bit easier to date the bikes.
The young lady with the greenish shorts has a Raleigh Silhouette. Yes I do remember her name. :blush:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
The only match I can find to the geography (Corbett across a Loch, road set back from water, not looking North) is the view of Quinaig from above Kylesku.

It's not right, but it is a great view!

About here
... and with a longish lens to produce that foreshortening effect.

Ummm..... so what's the legal connection?

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Well done @roubaixtuesday. As I didn't have to expand on the legal clue, I suggest that whoever can explain that gets to post a bonus picture.

Has this thread really been going so long? Back in December 2017 I posted a picture from the same day a little further on which also seemed to be harder than I'd expected:

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/game-name-that-road.227817/page-8#post-5088824

This was my first ever tour, aged 23. Earlier in the year I'd met the guy who organised the event, which comprised about 30 mainly young people. Some, like me, were a bit older and they would lead sub-groups, responsible for catering etc., on a rotation basis. Indescribably happy days.

The guy on the left, who is no doubt handing out Kendal Mint Cake, was the group's doctor. He was a plastic surgeon from the Birmingham area.

A have a "full team" photo in front of John o'Groats Youth Hostel, but that belongs in a different thread.

Time for another, @roubaixtuesday!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
It's remarkably difficult to gauge what a view will look like from an OS map.

I would have expected Sail Mhor to be dominated by the An Teallach from that vantage point.

I have absolutely no clue as to the legal connection.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
up north somewhere?
It looks like a lot of roads between here, the Forest of Bowland, and the Yorkshire Dales.

I can't quite see whether the walls are Millstone Grit or Limestone, but I would be surprised if it is more than (say) 40 kms from Clitheroe, and probably a lot less.

I'd say that the road is heading roughly south, maybe slightly to the east or west, but the sun is high in the sky so it surely has to south-ish.

I'd also guess that it is at an elevation of (say) 250-300 m. It is above the surrounding countryside, which itself is probably significantly above sea level, but it doesn't look bleak.

Oh, and it looks like a minor A-road, a B-road, or at least a country road that gets a significant amount of traffic i.e. it isn't a quiet lane in the middle of nowhere.

How am I doing? :whistle:

Even if all of that is true, I haven't managed to track it down yet!

Last edited:
Top Bottom