Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
The only possibility I can see is the road/track heading north from Great Urswick towards what Ordnance Survey refers to as Flat Woods. There's a "Woodside Farm" shown on the 1:25,000 scale map. The spot where I think the photo might have been taken doesn't seem to be on Streetview.

Edit: looking again, I don't think it can be.

Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Just when you think you can't possibly look anywhere else:

As @MontyVeda says, there doesn't seem to be a road name. It's a few hundred yards north of Low Scathwaite, about three miles north of Ulverston.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Last edited:

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I'm never quite sure whether to wait for the setter, but as there seem to be a few people about, I'll go ahead. Searching through my old colour slides I found a few good ones even before starting on my dad's.

You may not need a law degree to solve this one, but it could help:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Just when you think you can't possibly look anywhere else:

View attachment 543891

As @MontyVeda says, there doesn't seem to be a road name. It's a few hundred yards north of Low Scathwaite, about three miles north of Ulverston.
well done... I could have chosen a spot a bit further down the road but the monument on Hoad Hill would have been far too obvious.

I inadvertently ended up doing a bit of a detour when i missed a sign doing the Bay Cycle Way from Ulverston to Lancaster... the green dotted route is the BCW, the yellow is my detour, and the arrow is the road Aravis eventually found.

Thing is, it was a lovely detour and would be well worth doing again.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
well done... I could have chosen a spot a bit further down the road but the monument on Hoad Hill would have been far too obvious.

I inadvertently ended up doing a bit of a detour when i missed a sign doing the Bay Cycle Way from Ulverston to Lancaster... the green dotted route is the BCW, the yellow is my detour, and the arrow is the road Aravis eventually found.

View attachment 543903

Thing is, it was a lovely detour and would be well worth doing again.
We deliberately did our detour: up the eastern side of Consiston Water and over to Hawkshead. We stopped there overnight and then headed down the western side of Windermere to rejoin the BW above Low Wood.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I must have looked at every road around Ulverston except that one, just happy to get the right area.
I think the image made it looks as though the straight bit in the foreground look longer than it was. I kept telling myself that, but I probably passed over the actual road many times for that reason.

It feels much better if you wait to be passed the baton properly. My damned impatience - sorry @MontyVeda. Anyway, the next one's up there ^. Good luck!

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
I'm never quite sure whether to wait for the setter, but as there seem to be a few people about, I'll go ahead. Searching through my old colour slides I found a few good ones even before starting on my dad's.

You may not need a law degree to solve this one, but it could help:

View attachment 543897

Well, it's definitely Scotland.

We can note it's taken into the sun, so NOT from the South of the lone mountain, which looks easily high enough to be on the Munros list, and most probably from the North.

The road is set back from a Loch, then there's a direct unimpeded slope to the summit from the far bank.

The clue implies Ben Lawers, and therefore Loch Tay as the body of water, but I can find no road matching the inferences I drew from the picture. A look at the munroe list doesn't bring out any other law related mountains, and I don't think there's a Loch Advocate!

If I misinterpreted the clue, the mountain reminds me of Ben Lomond, but again I can find no road matching.

A quick look at a map of Scotland shows no obvious candidate from the clues.

So I'm stuck at that point. Is it a road or an off road track?

Aravis

Putrid Donut
You are of course right with Scotland, @roubaixtuesday - no surprise there.

I think I can let it run for a while before giving any more steers. There may be a bit more in the picture than you've identified so far - perhaps.

Top Bottom