Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There are several elements of that which are close to the truth, but only one actually correct element, and it's not the road.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Are you on the climb to Buttertubs from Hawes, looking at Ingleborough Hill? It seems quite a long way to Ingleborough from there, but it's the only place I can find where there other elements look as though they might fall into place.

If it is, I'm glad to say I've just found what looks like a really good one for this thread in a box of old slides which had been missing for a while.

Ahhh..... a slightly tricky adjudication, Hmmmm..... (And apologies for the delay in reply - I was out on the bike in the fog all day.)

I think, given that the game is to name the road, rather than the view, it has to go to @Siclo . The hill in the distance (20km away) is Ingleborough, and that is much as it looks from the top of the Buttertubs Pass, which is not far away at all, but that is in fact the top of the road over Fleet Moss - again. This one's about 500m south of the other Fleet Moss photo earlier in the thread and looking roughly SW, rather than north.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Of course, @Siclo, I'd be delighted.

As for the previous one, I was convinced that the shiny road to the right of the hill was too steep to be the Ingleton road, but I hadn't taken into account how high the Fleet Moss road is, so the perspective tricked me. Something like that anyway!

Now for something completely different, but pretty recognisable. Not my usual choice of road - on this tour I was not the route-planner...

BP04a.JPG

As for the previous one, I was convinced that the shiny road to the right of the hill was too steep to be the Ingleton road
Correct - it's way too steep and that's not a paved road. Well, it's not a tarmac road anyway - it's rather large, white broken limestone pebbly stuff on the Cam High Road, which is also the Pennine Way and the Pennine Bridleway at that point. It is, however, considerably more road-like than the 'road' in your photo above ;-)

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Have I killed yet another thread? The picture I posted several days ago is of the public road from Dundonnell to Allt na h-Airbhe and the Ullapool ferry, all clearly displayed on this extract from a 1984 printing of Michelin sheet 401:

Ullapool.JPG

I hoped I was drawing attention to a very useful option giving a spectacular view of Ullapool which you won't see any other way. However the ferry seems to have stopped operating - publicly anyway - over 10 years ago, so the interest is somewhat academic.

I can't find anything else obviously suitable, but I see someone has posted an image in the Show us your... winter ride thread which would've be absolutely perfect here.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Have I killed yet another thread? The picture I posted several days ago is of the public road from Dundonnell to Allt na h-Airbhe and the Ullapool ferry, all clearly displayed on this extract from a 1984 printing of Michelin sheet 401:

View attachment 388998

I hoped I was drawing attention to a very useful option giving a spectacular view of Ullapool which you won't see any other way. However the ferry seems to have stopped operating - publicly anyway - over 10 years ago, so the interest is somewhat academic.

I can't find anything else obviously suitable, but I see someone has posted an image in the Show us your... winter ride thread which would've be absolutely perfect here.
I did think 'I wonder if that's Scotland' when I saw it, but I have not been up that way very often and wouldn't have recognised Ullapool from that angle.

I think with these types of thread, interest comes and goes a bit. I'm sure it will pick up when all the Xmas/New Year stuff is over.

robjh

Legendary Member

View attachment 388998

I thought either Scotland or Lake District, but couldn't identify the town or the curve of coastline in the picture. It was certainly a good challenge.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Wrong thread - I meant Your bike in front of some railings. Sorry about that!

bruce1530

Guru
OK - I’ll jump in and do one.....

the bike’s slightly out of picture in this one, so doesn’t conform to all the rules. But there should be enough info in the background to place it...

IMG_1942.JPG

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!

View attachment 388998

The 'road' is still marked on my current OS map but there is no sign of any ferry link.

I was just looking at the map for the whole of northern Scotland ... Wow, you would really have to love solitude to live in that part of the world!

Top Bottom