Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
OK then. With the recent relaxation in the rules, this one qualifies - I've checked! An early morning shot from October 1985:

BP24a.JPG

When I looked for this spot on street view, I was able to find the house but the immediate surroundings seem to have changed drastically in the 32 years since the picture was taken. The mountains should be completely distinctive though. At this point I'm about to ride perhaps the most romantic section of coastline in the UK, something I'm proud to have on my list.

Last edited:

slow scot

Veteran
OK then. With the recent relaxation in the rules, this one qualifies - I've checked! An early morning shot from October 1985:

View attachment 389069
When I looked for this spot on street view, I was able to find the house but the immediate surroundings seem to have changed drastically in the 32 years since the picture was taken. The mountains should be completely distinctive though. At this point I'm about to ride perhaps the most romantic section of coastline in the UK, something I'm proud to have on my list.
Pap of Glencoe perhaps, from near the old Ballachulish ferry?

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Pap of Glencoe perhaps, from near the old Ballachulish ferry?
No, it's not that part of the world.

It's always difficult to judge how big a clue to give. When I said it's a early morning shot, that was intended to help with the direction of view, implying that it's likely to be an east coast scene.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Oooh no that's not, er, pap shaped enough. It does look Scottish though.

As above it's taken facing south or south-east and there's a small town with a church and what could be a barracks or warehouse on the water front.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
The object of the game is to identify where a photograph was taken. It should be taken on a public road in the UK and should feature you or (one of your friends) and/or a bike. (It's not that I don't like seeing photos from round the world but we really don't stand much chance of identifying (for example) a dirt road to a small temple in Vietnam!)

robjh

Legendary Member
I'll say that the mountain outline makes it the Mountains of Mourne in Northern Ireland, going by stock images such as this:
upload_2017-12-30_20-44-52.png

As for the exact location, I'm going to guess at the approach to Dundrum, and possibly here (from google maps)
upload_2017-12-30_20-50-20.png

- it could well be the same house, but some of the angles and the size of the mountains look wrong - maybe different types of lens between your photo and google maps?

It took a lot of googling of east coasts to get this far.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I'll say that the mountain outline makes it the Mountains of Mourne in Northern Ireland, going by stock images such as this:
View attachment 389199
As for the exact location, I'm going to guess at the approach to Dundrum, and possibly here (from google maps)
View attachment 389200
- it could well be the same house, but some of the angles and the size of the mountains look wrong - maybe different types of lens between your photo and google maps?

It took a lot of googling of east coasts to get this far.
I believe that is a bullseye! I agree, it's difficult to get a perspective that looks identical, perhaps due to different focal lengths. Those new trees on the left don't help either. But that's definitely where I was.

Riding the Mourne coast road - Where the mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea - is unforgettable.

Anyway, congratulations. Over to you...

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Yes but I don't feel I can give the point for narrowing it down to a Wales-sized area. A bit more precision please gentlemen!
You are at the Bwlch Oerddws car park, on the A470 between Dinas Mawddwy and Dolgellau, looking North-West. So it's morning!

The Wales clue was pretty helpful. It looks like a pass and the road looks like an A road, leaving only a handful of possibilities. It's a road I've not ridden. Although I've cycled a lot in Wales, I don't think I've been north of the Severn on a bike, or if I have, only just.

I have one more suitable piture if you're all interested. After that I think I'm probably out.

Top Bottom