Game: Name that road!

Discussion in 'Photo Gallery' started by ColinJ, 10 Dec 2017.

1. bruce1530

bruce1530 Über Member

All correct so far....

2. OP
    OP
    ColinJ

ColinJ Hillfinder General

Found it!

Harvesting Street View image ...

3. OP
    OP
    ColinJ

Fairlie Moor Road, near West Kilbride!

Fairlie Moor Rd Scotland.jpg
    And the turbines were installed AFTER June 2011! :okay:

4. Aravis

Aravis White-Haired Trundler

Removing the requirement to have part of a bike in the picture would have opened up a lot of opportunities.

5. bruce1530

bruce1530 Über Member

Spot on.

The first picture was taken from the top of the hill, up on the moor. The second was lower.

It’s a great road for cycling - single track road with passing places - the climb up from the coast road is about 700ft over a mile an a half, then a more gentle descent down towards Dalry. I say that despite having had an encounter with black ice up there which put me on crutches for a month...

https://www.strava.com/segments/3766716

In the background you can see the islands of Great Cumbrae (millport) and Little Cumbrae, with Bute and Arran in the background.

The 2 wind turbines sit on what used to be a (man-made) oil rig construction site - it’s now the National Offshore Wind Turbine Test Facility.

And the hidden industry - on the coast, just out of shot to the left, is the Hunterston nuclear power station, and to the right is the deepwater ore terminal.

ColinJ likes this.
  6. bruce1530

bruce1530 Über Member

The bike was under me when I took the photo :-)

ColinJ likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    ColinJ

Let's say that ideally your bike should be visible, but if you have run out of suitable photos including the bike, then just post one of the road. You should at least have cycled to that location though - don't just post a picture lifted off the Internet or snapped from a car window!

I'll trawl through my pictures and come up with one shortly ...

8. OP
    OP
    ColinJ

Ok, here is another one. If you know it, you will recognise it instantly. If you don't, you would struggle to work it out!

This ancient oak tree was very distinctive. I say 'was' because after years in that condition it was finally brought down by a severe gale in January of this year. It was estimated to be between 700 and 800 years old.

Spooky tree revisited.jpg

Aravis likes this.
  9. Aravis

That is the Laund Oak, Bolton Abbey. On the minor road heading north on the east side of the river, near the Strid.

ColinJ likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    ColinJ

It certainly is, or sadly, WAS ...

Your turn!

11. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

Did Prince Charles hide in that oak as well? He seems to have hidden in all the others.

ColinJ likes this.
  12. Aravis

OK then. With the recent relaxation in the rules, this one qualifies - I've checked! An early morning shot from October 1985:

BP24a.JPG
    When I looked for this spot on street view, I was able to find the house but the immediate surroundings seem to have changed drastically in the 32 years since the picture was taken. The mountains should be completely distinctive though. At this point I'm about to ride perhaps the most romantic section of coastline in the UK, something I'm proud to have on my list.

Last edited: 30 Dec 2017
    grecinos likes this.
  13. slow scot

slow scot Well-Known Member

Pap of Glencoe perhaps, from near the old Ballachulish ferry?

14. Aravis

No, it's not that part of the world.

It's always difficult to judge how big a clue to give. When I said it's a early morning shot, that was intended to help with the direction of view, implying that it's likely to be an east coast scene.

15. Globalti

Globalti Legendary Member

Oooh no that's not, er, pap shaped enough. It does look Scottish though.

As above it's taken facing south or south-east and there's a small town with a church and what could be a barracks or warehouse on the water front.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice