Game: Name that road!

Discussion in 'Photo Gallery' started by ColinJ, 10 Dec 2017.

1. Aravis

Aravis White-Haired Trundler

2. OP
    OP
    ColinJ

ColinJ Hillfinder General

I have gone back and edited the first post to show the relaxed conditions, but I still think we should stick to the UK so I have not changed that requirement.

Last edited: 30 Dec 2017
    Aravis likes this.
  3. Aravis

Thanks, @ColinJ, but my reason for highlighing in the UK was that the scene in my picture is...in the UK!

ColinJ likes this.
  4. I'll say that the mountain outline makes it the Mountains of Mourne in Northern Ireland, going by stock images such as this:
    upload_2017-12-30_20-44-52.png
    As for the exact location, I'm going to guess at the approach to Dundrum, and possibly here (from google maps)
    upload_2017-12-30_20-50-20.png
    - it could well be the same house, but some of the angles and the size of the mountains look wrong - maybe different types of lens between your photo and google maps?

It took a lot of googling of east coasts to get this far.

5. Aravis

I believe that is a bullseye! I agree, it's difficult to get a perspective that looks identical, perhaps due to different focal lengths. Those new trees on the left don't help either. But that's definitely where I was.

Riding the Mourne coast road - Where the mountains of Mourne sweep down to the sea - is unforgettable.

Anyway, congratulations. Over to you...

6. OK then.

Where am I?
    20150906 Wales ride (6).JPG

Rickshaw Phil and grecinos like this.
  7. briantrumpet

briantrumpet Veteran

Wales somewhere...

8. OP
    OP
    ColinJ

ColinJ Hillfinder General

Yes - I cheated and spotted that! :okay:

9. Yes but I don't feel I can give the point for narrowing it down to a Wales-sized area. A bit more precision please gentlemen!

ColinJ likes this.
  10. Aravis

You are at the Bwlch Oerddws car park, on the A470 between Dinas Mawddwy and Dolgellau, looking North-West. So it's morning!

The Wales clue was pretty helpful. It looks like a pass and the road looks like an A road, leaving only a handful of possibilities. It's a road I've not ridden. Although I've cycled a lot in Wales, I don't think I've been north of the Severn on a bike, or if I have, only just.

I have one more suitable piture if you're all interested. After that I think I'm probably out.

11. Well done, spot on!
    I had ridden up from the Dinas Mawddwy (eastern) side the previous evening and camped behind a wall just out of sight of the picture, and carried on towards Dolgellau (west, behind me in the photo) after the picture was taken.

theclaud, Aravis and Rickshaw Phil like this.
  12. Aravis

This one is on the mainland of Great Britain - no offshore foray this time. Also, one clue I will give is that my elevation is over 500 metres, having ridden up the road you can see disappearing down the valley.

BP22a.JPG

robjh likes this.
  13. Siclo

Siclo Senior Member

Are we in the Peak District?

14. I was thinking maybe South Wales, or Scottish borders? Thought I had it at one point but the curve of the road up that long valley is wrong. It looks like a B- if not an A-road.

15. Aravis

Good thinking. It is Wales, and it's an A-road.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice