Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
I don't recognise that, but I'm sure that someone will with the distinctive scenery and those 2 wind turbines.

That's my kind of road!

There are clues in the picture. Look at the shape of the land around the wind turbines. Does it look natural? And why are the wind turbines at sea level, not on top of the hills?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There are clues in the picture. Look at the shape of the land around the wind turbines. Does it look natural? And why are the wind turbines at sea level, not on top of the hills?
Er ... :whistle:

I would have to do some serious detective work to track that location down!

bruce1530

Guru
A view from halfway up the hill, before you hit the moorland.... Other than those two wind turbines, there doesn’t seem to be much industry in the area. But there’s lots, just out of view.

IMG_1934.JPG

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Removing the requirement to have part of a bike in the picture would have opened up a lot of opportunities.

bruce1530

Guru
Spot on.

The first picture was taken from the top of the hill, up on the moor. The second was lower.

It’s a great road for cycling - single track road with passing places - the climb up from the coast road is about 700ft over a mile an a half, then a more gentle descent down towards Dalry. I say that despite having had an encounter with black ice up there which put me on crutches for a month...

https://www.strava.com/segments/3766716

In the background you can see the islands of Great Cumbrae (millport) and Little Cumbrae, with Bute and Arran in the background.

The 2 wind turbines sit on what used to be a (man-made) oil rig construction site - it’s now the National Offshore Wind Turbine Test Facility.

And the hidden industry - on the coast, just out of shot to the left, is the Hunterston nuclear power station, and to the right is the deepwater ore terminal.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Let's say that ideally your bike should be visible, but if you have run out of suitable photos including the bike, then just post one of the road. You should at least have cycled to that location though - don't just post a picture lifted off the Internet or snapped from a car window!

I'll trawl through my pictures and come up with one shortly ...

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Ok, here is another one. If you know it, you will recognise it instantly. If you don't, you would struggle to work it out!

This ancient oak tree was very distinctive. I say 'was' because after years in that condition it was finally brought down by a severe gale in January of this year. It was estimated to be between 700 and 800 years old.

Spooky tree revisited.jpg

Top Bottom