Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Those hills make me think of the Long Mynd or thereabouts, Shropshire way. It's not the Malverns IMO as they are more isolated.
Yes, it certainly is Shropshire. And there is a little bit of Long Mynd in the picture. I think it should be possible to pin it down a little further.

It's from mid-October this year. Can you believe the roads were so dry?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
While we are waiting for Rob to come up with another road ...

Apparently, Vintage TV wants to join in! I have it on in the background and just glimpsed up from my laptop and spotted this ....

Vintage TV Name That Road.jpg

And the answer is ... The A58 at Blackstone Edge!

A58 Blackstone Edge.jpg

:laugh:

Back to you, Rob!

Last edited:

Skuhravy

Veteran
Blimey - I wouldn't have fancied that after a night at the pub... I reckon that I would have ended up careering down the embankment on the left into Sleightholme Beck!

I once rode to the Packhorse Inn on Widdop Rd between Hebden Bridge and Thursden (featured in my previous photograph). I almost crashed on the way home on the steep hairpinned descent at Blake Dean. After that I decided that drink-cycling was not for me! :laugh:

View attachment 387853

Ah no, we overnighted at the pub, and rode back the next day.

But - I've always said that the track is easier with a couple of pints in you. And the landlord says there's a gang always rides up from Barnard Castle for a pint or two after work every Thursday, regardless.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I'm not sure it's back with me - I thought we were waiting for a more exact location for @Aravis's photo in post #99.

What say ye all?
I think I've left it long enough. Maybe it's more difficult (or less interesting) than I thought.

The elegantly shaped hill on the left is Ragleth Hill, which towers above the A49 as you approach Church Stretton from the south. I've just crossed Wenlock Edge heading due north from Culmington, and when the Stretton Hills burst into view with the midday sun directly behind me, it was one of those "stop and gasp" moments. The road I'm on isn't particularly notable, but if you're looking for a quiet route northwards from Ludlow it worth looking at.

So, taking Ragleth Hill as the reference, the Long Mynd is poking through on the extreme left, Church Stretton (hidden behind the hills) is dead ahead, and Hope Bowdler Hill (possibly also the top of Caer Caradoc) on the right. It's definitely a "must visit" area and there are some true killer hills around if that's your thing. That day I was riding from Gloucester to Stoke-on-Trent - quite a day.

So @robjh wins for identifying Shropshire and the Long Mynd.

robjh

Legendary Member
I think I've left it long enough. Maybe it's more difficult (or less interesting) than I thought.

The elegantly shaped hill on the left is Ragleth Hill, which towers above the A49 as you approach Church Stretton from the south. I've just crossed Wenlock Edge heading due north from Culmington, and when the Stretton Hills burst into view with the midday sun directly behind me, it was one of those "stop and gasp" moments. The road I'm on isn't particularly notable, but if you're looking for a quiet route northwards from Ludlow it worth looking at.

So, taking Ragleth Hill as the reference, the Long Mynd is poking through on the extreme left, Church Stretton (hidden behind the hills) is dead ahead, and Hope Bowdler Hill (possibly also the top of Caer Caradoc) on the right. It's definitely a "must visit" area and there are some true killer hills around if that's your thing. That day I was riding from Gloucester to Stoke-on-Trent - quite a day.

So @robjh wins for identifying Shropshire and the Long Mynd.
Thanks, I shall be google-mapping those roads like mad this evening when I have a moment.

I'll look for another photo then too - unless someone else wants to leap in in the meantime?

Siclo

Veteran
Winnats Pass

Top Bottom