Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I think that @Richard A Thackeray's bridge is Ferrybridge over the river Aire.
It is
The old bridge (used up to mid 60s), taken from the dual-carriageway (to alleviate traffic in FerryBridge, & using Hartleys Bridge.............. now superceded (as the A1) itself by a new bridge/entire road to the west (at the other side of the Power Station

Its in North Wales! Heres the top of it...

View attachment 387102

Is that Neil Stevens on the front?

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Slightly OT - I play a similar game on Facebook with a very good cycling friend. We both know the roads of Devon, the local scenes, and each other's riding habits fairly well, so we can get pretty sneaky. I think the best one was when I posted a picture of clouds reflected in still water. All my other friends thought I was being silly, but my clue of "still waters" gave my friend the hint 'run deep', he worked out that it must be a reservoir, and his first guess as to which reservoir I was most likely to go to was correct.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
We have a winner! Yes, it is the Gospel Pass, heading north towards Hay.
I've been trying to think when I last rode over it - late 1980s almost certainly. It's been on my to do list since I've been back into cycling but I'm not so keen on long steep descents these days!

@ColinJ - I think I'll have to pass back to you this time. I'm heading out on my last big ride of the year tomorrow and I don't have anything suitable to hand at the moment. I wouldn't want to stall the thread.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
@ColinJ - I think I'll have to pass back to you this time. I'm heading out on my last big ride of the year tomorrow and I don't have anything suitable to hand at the moment. I wouldn't want to stall the thread.
Ah, ok. Here you go ...

A tough climb.jpg

Definitely not.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I've got a few minutes spare ... Many people would think that the climb in question is in West Yorkshire, but it is actually in Lancashire. I'm fairly sure that historically it would have been in the West Riding of Yorkshire but there have been a lot of boundary changes out there ... :whistle:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Is it the road into the back of Heptonstall from Widdop?

(I don't think it is, but it sure reminds me of it)
Via Slack - yes, though it is before you get to Widdop in that direction! Once you get to the summit in the distance, there is a quick ride to Heptonstall and on down to Hebden Bridge.:thumbsup:

The photograph was taken on the Halifax Rd from Colne in the dip at Thursden - HERE.

Your turn!

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I want to ride that road! No idea where it is though. Lake District?
Rob - now that the location has been identified ... That climb features on the local Season of Mists audax event which is well worth tackling if you can ever arrange to be up here that weekend in early October. It seems that the event takes place in either glorious or foul conditions and it is pot luck which you get. I'd say that it has been about 50-50 over the past 10 years or so.

Forum threads on past editions of SoM for you to look at.

Skuhravy

Veteran
Well, I am surprised! It looked right, but I don't remember the hill being quite so prominent. Mind you, it was a few years ago (and it was during a perm version of Chris Crossland's Season of Mists, or possibly one of Don Black's perms, with a pint at Mytholmroyd before my train home).

Anyway, here's one from the weekend:
P1010194.JPG

Top Bottom