Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I think that this weird thing is the weird thing that we are looking for, only I can't see what the weird thing IS! :wacko:
i'm seeing that as a Welsh dragon, probably wrong and even if correct helps very little.
1634194040013.png

Well Spotted Colin & Mr Uphill, a dragon it is.

I think it helps a lot.

No idea on pilons, but that seems to be leading you to completely wrong area geographically

Tribansman

Veteran
Thanks to your detective work @ColinJ and @All uphill, I know where this is!

It's in my neck of the woods, I vaguely remembered passing a Green Dragon pub in Flaunden village near Hemel Hempstead on one of my rides out to the Chilterns.

So, this is Flaunden Hill on the approach to the village...

https://maps.app.goo.gl/phKMFV4dgKEDH7719

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Well done @Tribansman

The has the makings of a fun laden search, as there is still something in the picture no-one has commented on, that is the best clue to finding the road. The view is from almost at the top of a short sharp, but otherwise unremarkable climb, that we do relatively regularly, and regarded as the slightly easier route to reach this village.

I'm surprised king of cryptic @Aravis hadn't pick up on the anagram above...:okay:

apparently the church was moved / built to replace another a couple of miles away as the village had migrated from it medieval original site.

The Dragon briefly disappeared from its position at the back of the beer garden when the current pub owners were refurbing the place it around the time of lockdown 1, they have spent a hell of a lot on it Please to say pub is now reopened and he has returned.

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Thanks @T4tomo, may well pay the pub a visit!

Will post one up later today, currently awaiting an x-ray after my first crash in years last night (knocked off by guy swinging out of mini roundabout, didn't even look). Suspected fractured sternum :sad:
Ouch, hope its not too bad and heals OK. I'm currently off the bike, hockey injury, chipped ankle bone and knackered ligaments. sadly the walking boot issued doesnt have cleats...

Tribansman

Veteran
Ouch, hope its not too bad and heals OK. I'm currently off the bike, hockey injury, chipped ankle bone and knackered ligaments. sadly the walking boot issued doesnt have cleats...
Yeah, could've been worse so counting my blessings. Jeepers, yours sounds horrendous. As for lack of cleats in the walking boot, what the hell do we get for our NI contributions these days?!

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I'm surprised king of cryptic @Aravis hadn't pick up on the anagram above...:okay:
No, I missed that completely. I had speculated correctly that the grey area might be something equestrian, but that didn't really help. Nowhere close this time.

Alex321

Veteran
I did pick up on "fun laden" being an unusual turn of phrase, and thought it would probably be a clue if the setter was @Aravis , but then thought no more about it.

Flaunden is actually on my regular (OK ... occasional) London-Coventry route. But I don't go along that particular road.
I've never been to that part of the world. I found it by searching for "Green Dragon Head in garden" on google images, after seeing the blown up version T4tomo posted. It came up on about the 7th row of images.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Thanks to your detective work @ColinJ and @All uphill, I know where this is!

It's in my neck of the woods, I vaguely remembered passing a Green Dragon pub in Flaunden village near Hemel Hempstead on one of my rides out to the Chilterns.

So, this is Flaunden Hill on the approach to the village...

https://maps.app.goo.gl/phKMFV4dgKEDH7719

Hah passed within 1/2 mile of there on my way to Bovingdon about 7 weeks ago. If I’d seen the green dragon post I’d have gone straight to look at this location.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Good one @T4tomo.
Ultimately fruitless, but I enjoyed a good 3 or more hours searching for churches on OS maps yesterday evening. Found several transmission lines passing near Hemel, but so must have been very close. Next time....

Top Bottom