Game: Name that road!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
They weren't great clues, but Monty found the road very quickly, so they must have helped!

The stone is typical of round here, so search rural locations in (say) a 30 km radius of Todmorden for a water feature with a small roadside car park and a nearby t-junction. (It is actually 20 km from here.)

The driver got a little high... The location is quite high but not super high - the elevation of the road is in fact about 290 m above sea level.

Second vehicle from us is a red car. It is parked at Red Car tarn.
I'm really bad at clues... I honestly thought that was an actual anecdote and paid little attention other than a chuckle :blush:.

Next up:

Name that road!

T4tomo

Guru
I'm really bad at clues... I honestly thought that was an actual anecdote and paid little attention other than a chuckle :blush:.

Next up:
View attachment 614126

Name that road!
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.0...WB8xrMWtRAmRKLbfQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-GB

boom!
St chads drive

west coast mainline? north Lancaster heading to Morecambe

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Electrified rail line that was formerly the boundary of the built up area.
Looks like it has only 2 sets of tracks.
On the other side, approx 1930s semi detatched housing.
On this side postwar housing, possibly 60s-70s.

Has a really familiar look to me as being somewhere in SE London. Problem is I'll bet there are people in other urban areas who would think the same.
Mk1 OLE electrification. SE london is 3rd rail. Obvious (if you have no life).

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.0...WB8xrMWtRAmRKLbfQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en-GB

boom!
St chads drive

west coast mainline? north Lancaster heading to Morecambe
correct. under 20 mins. not bad... but mine never last very long.

The hill on St Chad's Drive was the 'big' hill when i was a nipper; too high to pedal up, too steep the freewheel down... well it was when I was about six. Still can't quite get my head round just how unimpressive the 'big' hill is.:blush:

Over to you @T4tomo :okay:

T4tomo

Guru
correct. under 20 mins. not bad... but mine never last very long.
It was clearly next to an electrified railway line and looked a bit grim so assumed it was close to Lancaster. Had it been a leafy boulevard paved in gold, I'd have started looking in Yorkshire.:laugh:
*Purely a Roses comment, absolutely no offence intended at Monty's childhood locality.
Let me have think / search for somewhere I've ridden that has enough clues but enough of a challenge

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
You end up with one of these:
a bit bent.jpg

Only on a much smaller scale.

T4tomo

Guru
I managed to crack a crankshaft on a tractor as a youngster (or rather I was driving it at time and consequently was blamed by my Dad and Uncle for causing it:laugh:) and I wasn't driving through a ford

It was quite a vintage tractor even back in the early 80's when it occurred. We ended up searching a scrap yard to find a similar model with a cracked engine block, and another uncle who was an agricultural engineer managed to cobble together one good engine out of two bad ones. Its still running c40 years on.... A David Brown 25D, like this..
1634628684891.png

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Gotcha

The road to Tissington.

1634630625348.png

The Seashell Trust sportive (excellent event, wonder if it happened this year... yes it did, recommended for future years https://www.seashelltrust.org.uk/sportive-event-2021/) which I've done a couple of times has a feeding station at the ford.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.065...4!1sOfKQ_eq5SxMWHK8mGgmKdA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

[edit: as per usual, I have no clue what the cryptic clues being lobbed in are about 🤷‍♀️ ]

[further edit: the OS reveals as "bent lane"]

Last edited:

T4tomo

Guru
well done @roubaixtuesday
Its called Bent Ln hence @Aravis's clue, who had clearly solved it but presumably couldn't be arsed to set the next one. the piston / tractor / crankshaft chat were not clues.
the scene of a shameful incident for which I have never quite been forgiven
again not a clue, we did this ride as part of a weekend away with another couple in the peak district - we'd headed up tissington trail, high peak trail, had a nice pub lunch &beers and were heading back to ashbourne having gone around carsington water. The girls, particularly my mates OH, were getting a bit leg weary and as we came down the hill (Mill Lane) before the left /right to the ford, with a view of the other side of the valley there were moans of OMG we don't have to go over that hill do we?
Keen to avoid a mutiny I told a bare faced lie and said the road snaked away to the left round the hill, then led us towards the ford over the footbridge, where my deceit became clear and Nick & I proceeded to bolt up the other side of the hill and wait at the top, figuring tired voices rant less. I could then genuinely say it was all down hill from there and bought icecreams at Tissington to quell the mutiny. :laugh:

Top Bottom