Garden Waste

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
3. surely you would get paid for that half days leave, so again just your own time really??

Yeh but my time could be used on the bike or anything more enjoyable than chopping cuttings up.

So if you think about it, it's probably not that unreasonable a charge. He's probably made some money on this job, but there will be others he barely covers cost due to unforeseen difficulties. All evens out.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
I don't want to put the vat amongst the pigeons but have we already added 20% tax? If we have then £180 is really £150.
thats if he earns enough to charge VAT

1638869890540.png

Alex321

Veteran
but that cant be right.....posters have said between 100 and 200 for garden waste. are you saying they have all been wrong with their posts???

again that can't be true as these people are perfect and never get anything wrong and never make assumptions. Maybe i should start calling them all names now cause they are wrong.
Why can't that be right?

The £100-£200 is what is quoted for adding on disposal to a general gardening job.

What he pays the council is a different figure entirely - and of course is not the whole cost to him of disposing of it, since there is also his time, fuel, etc. And of course, when it is added as a chargeable item, the gardener will be intending making a profit out of it.

Alex321

Veteran
thats if he earns enough to charge VAT

View attachment 620994
True. And it is unlikely he does.

Again, all assumptions, but if we assume he has a gross turnover of the order of £200 per day, 5 days a week, for 46 weeks per year (to allow for holidays/sick time), then that is £46,000 per year turnover. The VAT registration threshold is currently £85,000.

And I think that £46,000 is probably on the high side even then - there will be a fair amount of time when he is not working billable time, particularly in the winter.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
This is a total non-thread, to suit your passive-aggressive appetite.
Why on earth do you waste so much time droning on about trivial rubbish?
Haven‘t you anything better to do with your time?
I’m having a tea break from my living - building drystone walls. Your hair would catch fire if you knew how much I could sometimes get paid for a job. And how little interest some clients have in the surplus I make from buying and selling stone (because they can afford it) etc etc
And should you have to go through: being undercut by crap wallers with no ticket who throw stone up; waiting for the snow to thaw; waiting for the four wheeler to get up the hill with the stone; being in the workshop fixing your truck; drying off your gear in the dark; thawing your hands with a mug; and so on…you wouldn‘t even think twice about a canny gardener making a decent living.
Most people in these lines of work maybe work 200 days a year if they’re lucky. You simply havent a clue.

And no, I’m not fresh from the politics section. I very rarely post or comment because the place is becoming as dry as a dry thing, discussing garden waste costs.

and yes, I have better things to do. What about you?

Wish me a good day. Go on. I know you mean in.

Rude. Arrogant. Aggressive. And a bit dim. I know, but at least I don’t start shoot threads on the internet!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Id be earning the same as the gardener who is employed by asda and the guy stacking the shelves of the food you purchase…

lets say £15hr on a 40hr week…..thats £600 a week before tax. 52 wks in a year, if you dont take holidays, so thats around £31.2k a year

lots of people around the UK earning a lot less than that before tax, NI and pension.
thing is... as a sole trader, you're not guaranteed 40 hours a week 52 weeks a year. As a gardener, you'd be lucky to find ten hours a week work through the winter months... which is around £150 a week. You'd be wise to charge double in the summer when there's plenty of work to cover you through the lean winter months.

I've done the same job employed and as a sole trader. Employed I'd accept £8 an hour because i was guaranteed 35 hours a week, paid holidays and paid sick leave. Self employed i charged £30 an hour because nothing was guaranteed.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

This is a total non-thread, to suit your passive-aggressive appetite.
Why on earth do you waste so much time droning on about trivial rubbish?
Haven‘t you anything better to do with your time?
I’m having a tea break from my living - building drystone walls. Your hair would catch fire if you knew how much I could sometimes get paid for a job. And how little interest some clients have in the surplus I make from buying and selling stone (because they can afford it) etc etc
And should you have to go through: being undercut by crap wallers with no ticket who throw stone up; waiting for the snow to thaw; waiting for the four wheeler to get up the hill with the stone; being in the workshop fixing your truck; drying off your gear in the dark; thawing your hands with a mug; and so on…you wouldn‘t even think twice about a canny gardener making a decent living.
Most people in these lines of work maybe work 200 days a year if they’re lucky. You simply havent a clue.

And no, I’m not fresh from the politics section. I very rarely post or comment because the place is becoming as dry as a dry thing, discussing garden waste costs.

and yes, I have better things to do. What about you?

Wish me a good day. Go on. I know you mean in.

Rude. Arrogant. Aggressive. And a bit dim. I know, but at least I don’t start shoot threads on the internet!
in the garden section...be a bit silly to discuss other stuff in there wouldn't it - its such a non thread you took time to make the above post. obviously you have nothing better to do lol

i mean you could just ignore it like the other 45 thousand or so members have

Last edited:
totally different scenario...so why not start your own thread based on the above.
The above and others like.... mods please close this thread,

Do you really think you have sole control over a thread on a forum just because you started it, why not start your own thread :laugh: reminds me of primary school kids in the playground.

OP
OP
J

jowwy

The above and others like.... mods please close this thread,

Do you really think you have sole control over a thread on a forum just because you started it, why not start your own thread :laugh: reminds me of primary school kids in the playground.
lots of people have said the same in their threads when some one tries a thread hijack.....nothing new here, move on

ive also asked the mods to close it twice now, but they seem happy to keep it open

Alex321

Veteran
lots of people have said the same in their threads when some one tries a thread hijack.....nothing new here, move on

ive also asked the mods to close it twice now, but they seem happy to keep it open
The mods (rightly IMO) make their own decisions about when a thread should be closed.

I used to moderate on a different (non-cycling) forum, and one of the official rules there was "we do not remove posts or close threads on request".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom