garmin 810 & strava

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
S1mon

S1mon

rode on turbo last night doing 1 hour hill reps and after around 35 minutes still suffering drop outs so is is really fixed!!!!

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
rode on turbo last night doing 1 hour hill reps and after around 35 minutes still suffering drop outs so is is really fixed!!!!

What sort of drop outs are you experiencing? The random half values or a complete drop out? If power is dropping to zero, what happens with cadence?

I am assuming you have updated to 2.4?

I am using a Quarq and there are no random half values recorded in the data since the update was applied.

OP
OP
S1mon

S1mon

hi robert i am using quarq also i updated to 2.4 and last night was first try . yes when it drops out it goes to complete zero along with the cadence (and no i have not stopped pedaling lol)

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
This is a complete drop out, nothing to do with the recent Garmin issues. Those were a different issue and had quite a unique signature i.e. a drop to half actual power for 2-4 seconds, with no change to cadence, all cadence data recorded was correct. If you look at your data in WKO+ or Golden Cheetah (due to plot resolution the extent of the problem doesn't show up well in Strava or Garmin Connect) you will see lots of the random half power values in your data up until you updated to 2.4, these should no longer be present in data captured since the update. I can confirm this is the case.

You should try several things to resolve your issue.

The manual will tell you a whole list of things to try but since your cadence drops as well, my 1st check would be the magnet, make sure it is in the right place radially and also in distance to the spider. It may have moved over time if the cable guide moves a tad when you shift, some do as they are held in place by a tab and the cable pressure rather than actually bolted in place. If it is not in the right place then the Quarq can not measure cadence and therefore can not calculate power.

If that fails, try a different battery. The battery should last ages, but you never know, you may have a duff one.

You can also check there is no moisture in the battery compartment and that the contacts are free of corrosion and not folded down too flat, they should make a solid contact with the battery.

The occasional drop out is inevitable. But if frequent there is something amiss.

If in doubt, contact Quarq, they are very helpful and usually respond pretty quick. Bear in mind they are on USA time when waiting for a response.

OP
OP
S1mon

S1mon

thanks for the help the cable is not an option as i run di2 and as for corrosion etc bike not evver out in the rain and power meter is just few weeks old but will sure try a new battery . and as last try will contact quarq or lbs that supplied and fitted

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
You should still check the magnet location, depending on your bike frame and bottom bracket type, the magnet may not always be in the right place. I have to crack the magnet off the forked mount and re-glue in place to suit my 2 bikes.

You may be using the circular mount though? If that is the case it is more likely distance rather than radial spacing that could be off, in this case, stack 2 magnets. They are super strong so it wont come off (in fact be careful removing it later if you need to as you may pull the original off of the mount, you can always glue it back, but can be avoided with care).

If you used the putty to glue the magnet to your frame, check location and distance. Magnet stacking may be needed.

Where did you buy the power meter btw? Also which model is it?

OP
OP
S1mon

S1mon

it is the quarq elsa i bought it from the specilaized concept store and had it fitted to my new sl4 to be fair i dont think they could of tested it as i had my garmin at home they did not stick it on they said it is fastened under the di2 junction and have also just told me to try pit the other magnet on

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Is the di2 junction box under the bottom bracket attached where the cable guide usually goes? If so, they may have used the fork shaped magnet mount, so you might need to re-locate the magnet on the end of it to suit your frame. Take a photo of the underside of the bottom bracket maybe? Without knowing which mount you are using etc, it is hard to advise.

OP
OP
S1mon

S1mon

will do when i get home the lbs said run it in they will sort it but its a 2 hour round trip

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I am no expert on the finer points, but I installed mine and swap it back and forth between 2 bikes regularly so am fairly familiar with the installation process and have set up the magnet on two different bikes so might be able to save you a 2 hour journey.

Top Bottom