Garmin Edge 305... anyone have one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adam2008

Hi thinking about getting an Edge 305.
If anyone has one could you tell me what you think of it and also can you get a OS grid ref. or is it just Long and Lat?
Thanks

dodgy

Hi Adam,

I have one, I also have an Edge 705 which has proper mapping and auto routing built in. I'm a bit of an evangelist for these devices, so pardon my enthusiasm for them. When I bought my first 305, it completely revolutionised my cycling, I was able to download tried and tested routes from other riders and it completely opened up hitherto unknown routes to me. Being able to upload your ride to your PC when you get home is cool, too. I know, for instance, what my fastest time is for any hill that I've ridden in the past 2 years, or the average heart rate for any given ride or part thereof. I can also look back and see when was the last time I completed a certain route, or totalled a certain distance in a given period (day, week, month, year). All this without actually having to put pen to paper or to press any buttons, you just attach the device to your bars and you're off. The stats are a tremendous motivator to get out and ride, I'm currently trying to beat last May's monthly mileage.
See, I love cycling and I also love gadgets, and this device merges my two interests xx(
Sadly, the 305 is strictly a training device, so it's not going to give you OS coordinates. In fact, it's difficult to even get your lat/long position from it, but the workaround is to 'mark your position' which reveals the current lat/long. The 705 gives out lat/long much more easily.

Hope this helps,

Dave.

OP
OP
adam2008

adam2008

Thats good news... I have just bought one for £125 with HR.
Lets say you cycle a route and get completely lost.
A mouth later can you then 'follow the arrow' and get lost the same way again? I mean can you follow a previously route and the arrow point you in the right direction???
Where can you download routs from? My trouble is I live in Lowestoft, so restrained on one side by the sea and a river that only has a few crossing on it! It would be good to have some other routes!
Thanks for your help and your enthusiasm is brilliant!
Adam

dodgy

Hi Adam,

When I was actively using my 305 (moved to 705 now), I would create routes on sites such as www.bikeroutetoaster.com or www.mapmyride.com . What you do is design the route and download it as a .crs file, import the .crs into Garmin Training Centre then export it to your Edge. You'll be following a bread crumb trail, so it's a simple case of matching what you see on screen with the road layout (you won't actually see a map on screen). It is also possible to add turn warnings to help when the route is a little ambiguous.

There are a lot more hints and tips for these devices, so lots to learn. But that's it in a nutshell. To learn more, check out Frank's Edge 305 route planning tutorial at http://frank.kinlan.co.uk/?page_id=410 I've actually met Frank funny enough, as we cycle in the same area.

Cheers,
Dave.

I bought the 305 last month and IM (limited) E, its a good peice of kit. I mostly use it for recording data bpm/ cadence/ speed/ grade, etc and foud it great for this. Ive only navigated with it twice the first time on a known route I found it had truncated my route or something so in effect I would of been lost. However yesterday I used it on a longer route (85 mls) breaking it up into 4 smaller routes and it worked fine.
dodgy which site do you download routes from?

Just a word of warning.....when you buy one make sure you mount it so it doesn't vibrate against any metal bike bits. Mine was originally subject to vibration which caused it to turn itself off on the c**p roads. Now re-sited, vibration free and running like it should!

As Dodgy says all the stats you'll ever want/need! A good bit of kit.

yello

adam2008 said:
I have just bought one for £125 with HR.

Second hand? That's a good price for new, I suspect that you'll be able to get some good deals on the 305 (and 205) now the 705 is out there.

I agree with dodgy on his summary. MapMyRide is an excellent route building tool and you can export your route as a .crs and upload it, via the Garmin software, to the 305. Personally, I have no need for the 705's auto routing features as I either build a route in advance or just ride and have the 305 track the route for me for later analysis. The 305 is an excellent bit of kit and I'd not be without it.

dodgy said:
I get my routes from http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/network/digest/view.mb mainly, the site can be slow, but this place is chock full of rides and it's searchable. Just have patience with the speed of the site.

I mostly now design my own routes in Mapsource now I have the 705.

Dave.
Thanks for the link. I've uploaded some routes, motion based tends to make me faster. The Edge TC said 17.7mph for Saturdays ride and so did the bike computer (cheap aldi wired), Motion based says it was 18.2 xx(.

dodgy

Motionbased has an elevation correction algorithm that you may have used, but never seen it change a speed. Anyway, forgot to mention, don't bother with Garmin Training Centre (GTC) as your main Edge application, use Sporttracks, it's leaps and bounds ahead of GTC and free. I tend to upload my rides to them both (and back them up to a USB stick each week), but Sporttracks is the one I use to view/manage my rides.
http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/
Dave.

yello

Halfords must be sitting on a pile of them then! That's a darn good buy. At those prices, I'd not even look at a 705, not for my purposes.

I use SportTracks too, and MotionBased (MB)... and Training Centre! (I'm paranoid about loosing 2 years worth of data!). I'd never really paid too much attention to the climbing data (I just ride) but an interesting exercise recently (by someone on the forum) showed quite significant differences between the ascend figures in GTC, SportTracks, MB and the elevation profile for the route on www.mapmyride.com. Tweaking the algorithm in SportTracks and changing an option in MB evened things up a little but mapmyride shows values WAY lower due to the way it calculates total climbing; for instance, a ride of 1500m climbing in MB shows as 225m in mapmyride!!

trio25

Über Member
mapmyride only count a change in elevation of 60m+ so if you have lots of short sharp climbs they don't get added to the values. Hence they are quite far out.

yello

trio25 said:
mapmyride only count a change in elevation of 60m+ so if you have lots of short sharp climbs they don't get added to the values. Hence they are quite far out.

Which I do. It's very undulating where I live ('vallonné' is the French word for it!). I live at around 300m but a ride around here goes from 150m in the valleys to a peak of around 450m, and constantly up and down in between! An average of around 10m climbing per kilometre.

Top Bottom