garmin edge 520 or 820 or garmin touring ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

OldShep

Über Member
As much as I dislike Garmin take a good look at the 530. They might have finally excelled.
£50 cash back after 30 days ownership too.

Zeffer

I guess it depends what you want it for. I have managed my three day tour and countless other routes using an Edge 520, can’t comment on the 820.

You have to create the routes and put them on the device. When following, it is basically a pink line you track. I have also upgraded my maps using openstreetmap.

It’s OK, but fairly easy to miss a turn, especially in towns where there are lots of options. On the open road, it’s fine. I have never had any reliability issues.

For simply tracking rides and sensor data, then it has never skipped a beat.

However, for proper navigation I am planning on upgrading to the Edge 530 or a Wahoo device.

Lots of people not getting on with the Touring model! @Littgull was really unhappy with his and bought a different model.
Yes. my Garmin Tour is hopelessly inconsistent. So much so that I ended up buying a Garmin Explore about 12 months ago. That has so far proved flawless in regard to navigation and following an uploaded route - which is the most important thing for me. However. it does seem to under record the amount of ascent which makes me still be wary of all things Garmin.

Zeffer

reserved a 520 plus , after bc discount and bonus its costing me £12

My understanding is that the plus is a big step up from the standard.

Joffey

Big Dosser
It's a shame you didn't fancy the 530. I've had a 520 and the difference from that to the 530 is amazing. It's like an iPhone compared to a Nokia.

OP
OP
cyberknight

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Picked it up today , one question ..
skip phone sync when setting up garmin edge ?
can it be done as i have always connected to a pc , but seems you have to connect to a smartphone to set it up, its not a big issue but i dont take the phone that will have the app on when riding .

Top Bottom