Garmin Edge Touring Issue.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello,

I was following a route on saturday - the garmin was showing 0 seconds before I turned right. So I turned right. But then it started to show the distance to the point increasing (ie I was getting further away) - So I turned around and went looking for the right turn - got hopelessly lost so made my own way home.

At home I checked the route - and the turn I made was the correct one - so why was it telling me I was moving away from the point ?

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Dementia :laugh:

gizmo1994

Because it is an Edge Touring. Mine loves to play mind games with me. I created a perfectly direct route on RideWithGPS to get me to the pub last week, the Garmin took the GPX and decided to add a few wiggly bits and a set of steps just to liven things up a bit.

Yes, I too am a very dissatisfied owner of the Garmin Touring. Similar issues. Totally unreliable expensive piece of junk.

I'm guessing here, but gremlins aside, logically it sounds like you missed a waypoint, it will ask you to go back before proceeding to the next one...

1280px-GremlinStripeByInti.jpg

gizmo1994

Set your route recalculation to 'Off' rather then 'Automatic'. It may have assumed you had missed the turn and was forcing you back to it.

Mile195

Veteran
I have an edge 1000. It does all sorts of odd things with routes I've created then downloaded to the Garmin. Sometimes it doesn't bother to give me turn-by-turn instructions at all, in which case I just keep the map page up, and follow the pink line.

Anyway, if this happens again (assuming the Touring version is largely the same as the 1000), cancel the navigation. Re-load the route, say "no" to "navigate to beginning of course". It should say "course found", and you can carry on as you were. Basically, it will sometimes try and send you back to the last point where it thought you were on the route, if it lost it briefly. Cancelling the current navigation stops this.

There seem to be all sorts of bugs where following courses are concerned. While there are many things I love about the Garmin Edge, the navigation really does feel like a "beta" product. I don't think they will ever fix it though. Mine started on software version 7 and it's now on version 14, and it still doesn't really work any better than it did on Day 1.

Edge Touring, mine frequently behaves very strangely. On Saturday I was doing a ride through the Surrey Hills, and it decided to switch itself off, right at the point I had changed the route from the one I know well, to a bit I had added, but not yet ridden. Fortunately, it was just a case of switching it back on, and waiting for it to relocate the satellites. Mine is also a nightmare sometimes with turns in between several other available turns. I ride with the sounds on, and it makes one beep for an impending turn, and 2 beeps when you actually have to turn, which is fine, unless there’s so much traffic around that you can’t hear it properly. The other thing it did, that it has done a few times before, is suddenly decide, that I’d deviated from the loaded route ( I hadn’t ) and then spat the dummy, requiring me to reload the route.

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Can't say I've ever hsd any real major issues with either the touring or 1000.

Although if you switch it off in the middle of navigation you may need to reload the route to ensure that you still get waypoints.

Main thing is to make sure that you have auto recalculation set to no, and always use the tcx format rather than. Gpx when uploading routes.

gizmo1994

I often use the .tcx format from RideWithGPS but I sometimes get a .gpx from a download of a public route. What is the advantage of the .tcx file?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Although if you switch it off in the middle of navigation you may need to reload the route to ensure that you still get waypoints.

With my Touring, even when you reload the route after turning off in the middle of a ride, it stops doing turn by turn. However the mapping still works.

There are those who say their Garmins never miss a beat. There are those for whom its an exercise in suspense, wondering if its going to switch its self off / freeze up / start telling stories. I am in the latter group and despite reloading everything, factory reset and firmware update, it still keeps me on my toes by occasionally letting me know it thinks its boss. As was mentioned above, it seems very "beta". I'll be having the last laugh, am changing to Wahoo.

Top Bottom