Garmin Edge Touring Issue.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You told me that you were experimenting with auto-rerouteing turned off. Was it still playing up after that?

Hi Colin,

Yes, I turned auto-rerouting off a couple of weeks ago and the navigation issues seemed to be resolved on the next 2 shortish rides where I 'trialled' it. But then when i went out with my son for a couple of hours early this Sunday morning despite sticking exactly to the downloaded .tcx route we had only been gone 15 minutes and the device started flashing the erroneous message 'make a U turn'. Absolutely exasperating!

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi Colin,

Yes, I turned auto-rerouting off a couple of weeks ago and the navigation issues seemed to be resolved on the next 2 shortish rides where I 'trialled' it. But then when i went out with my son for a couple of hours early this Sunday morning despite sticking exactly to the downloaded .tcx route we had only been gone 15 minutes and the device started flashing the erroneous message 'make a U turn'. Absolutely exasperating!
Drat!

Can you turn off all the notifications and just get it to show a breadcrumb trail on the map and follow that? (As you know, my GPS doesn't even have a map so I follow a grey line on an otherwise blank screen!)

Drat!

Can you turn off all the notifications and just get it to show a breadcrumb trail on the map and follow that? (As you know, my GPS doesn't even have a map so I follow a grey line on an otherwise blank screen!)

Yes, I think it is possible to turn off all the notifications and just follow the line of the route. I try it out.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Caveat: I’m not an IT whizz.

Techno speaks aside:

GPX files on my Wahoo show a breadcrumb trail on top of your map. Takes up very little memory.

TCX files on my Wahoo tell you how far till your next turn or junction. It tells you if you are going left, right or straight over. It will also show you a simplified diagram of a roundabout and the exit you should take. My device flashes leds in the direction of your next turn. It can also bleep if you wish. You can also tell it how far in advance you would like a notification. 30 m seems to be the default. Takes up much more memory. On my Wahoo you can access a ‘Route Sheet’ or ‘Cue’ page which shows your list in the same way as you may see a posh route sheet on an Audax with an IT savvy organiser. Your route is overlayed on your map software, but at junctions or waypoints it does the magic trickery mentioned above.

On a Wahoo, Both file types yell in alarm when you go off course and omit red flashing leds. However Wahoo is still working on the software to reroute you back onto your course. For now you just need to backtrack until you link up with your map arrows and your leds turn green.

TCX files, to me, are anything but breadcrumb trails as mentioned here or another thread. I forget, but stand to be corrected why this was stated. They are super user friendly and 99% of my routes are TCX these days. Only the occasional Audax organiser will offer only GPX files. They seem so old fashioned.

Wahoo are streets ahead having owned a Touring Edge. A long forgotten nightmare. In almost a year I have failed to ‘break’ or trick my Wahoo into going wrong.

OP
OP
kingrollo

kingrollo

Guru
Caveat: I’m not an IT whizz.

Techno speaks aside:

GPX files on my Wahoo show a breadcrumb trail on top of your map. Takes up very little memory.

TCX files on my Wahoo tell you how far till your next turn or junction. It tells you if you are going left, right or straight over. It will also show you a simplified diagram of a roundabout and the exit you should take. My device flashes leds in the direction of your next turn. It can also bleep if you wish. You can also tell it how far in advance you would like a notification. 30 m seems to be the default. Takes up much more memory. On my Wahoo you can access a ‘Route Sheet’ or ‘Cue’ page which shows your list in the same way as you may see a posh route sheet on an Audax with an IT savvy organiser. Your route is overlayed on your map software, but at junctions or waypoints it does the magic trickery mentioned above.

On a Wahoo, Both file types yell in alarm when you go off course and omit red flashing leds. However Wahoo is still working on the software to reroute you back onto your course. For now you just need to backtrack until you link up with your map arrows and your leds turn green.

TCX files, to me, are anything but breadcrumb trails as mentioned here or another thread. I forget, but stand to be corrected why this was stated. They are super user friendly and 99% of my routes are TCX these days. Only the occasional Audax organiser will offer only GPX files. They seem so old fashioned.

Wahoo are streets ahead having owned a Touring Edge. A long forgotten nightmare. In almost a year I have failed to ‘break’ or trick my Wahoo into going wrong.

Thats interesting Wahoo is almost a swearword in our club, even more unreliable and very breakable is what I hear.
What would a wahoo be available for if I just wanted it for routing ?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Thats interesting Wahoo is almost a swearword in our club, even more unreliable and very breakable is what I hear.
What would a wahoo be available for if I just wanted it for routing ?

I use a Wahoo Elmnt. For 200+km Audax rides and for a touring (most impressive was using a very complex 4 day route via off road and on) I use it in conjunction with cycle.travel to build the route and Ride With GPS to create the TCX files.

Faultless.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Well, TCX is quite a rich schema, but effectively - in the context of route planning they are just breadcrumb trails. The magic is in a combination of the software that writes them (eg RWGPS) and how the navigation devices use them. The files themselves are just breadcrumb trails.

TCX is Garmin's own extension/re-implementation of GPX. Much of it is given over to recording workouts and providing stats on those workouts (HR, cadence etc. Stuff that you can't fit into a GPX file). Only part of it (Courses) is dedicated to route planning.

A GPX file file consists of one or more tracks, made up of one or more segments, made up of trackpoints (breadcrumb trails) and optionally also some waypoints (points). (Yes I know it can also contain other stuff like routes as well as tracks, but let's skip that).

A TCX Course is very similar. It's a Course, containing Tracks, made up of Trackpoints, plus some "Course Points". The course points are what provide you with the advance warning of turns and so forth. Unlike the waypoints in a GPX file that can be any old where ,the course points have to be exactly on the track. (This makes the files difficult to edit by hand). The course points are where the magic happens. If you tell RWGPS you want a turn warning 17m before each turn, it will count back 17m from each turn and generate one.

That's my understanding anyway.

Wow. Thank you. This is pure witchcraft to me but you explain it rather well. The real magic of all this, is that the end user can be an ignoramus like myself who can get round via certain points of interest, cafés or control points without getting lost. IF I remember to charge my device. Thanks again, that was interesting.

It is possible, but it kinda defeats the object of having turn-by-turn. What I like about turn-by-turn (when it works) is that you never have to look at the map. Just ride along until it beeps. Follow the line routing requires half an eye on the map all the time to remember the next turn or notice that you are off course and double back.

Yes, I totally agree. Having reliable turn by turn directions is my main reason for using a bike GPS device, especially when you consider the price paid for it. I think it's an absolute outrage the sheer volume of Garmin users who appear to be not getting the facilities marketed of various models in their range. It'll be a Wahoo Element Bolt that I'll get next when funds allow.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes, I totally agree. Having reliable turn by turn directions is my main reason for using a bike GPS device, especially when you consider the price paid for it. I think it's an absolute outrage the sheer volume of Garmin users who appear to be not getting the facilities marketed of various models in their range. It'll be a Wahoo Element Bolt that I'll get next when funds allow.
Agreed. Garmin users are beta testers for all the machines no doubt. And nothing seems to be done to rectify errors with the software so they remain buggy. Which is a shame. The Touring is a good machine, perfect when it works. But it just doesn't and that's poor from Garmin. Like you and many others I suspect, Wahoo is on the shopping list.

Top Bottom