Garmin edge 705/800

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i have the 605 and the base maps are pretty much useless.

it is best to either download the osm maps (free) or get the city nav maps from garmin(paid for).

the link for the free maps are here

garmin osm maps

OP
OP
J

Jake2.0

Thanks btw which map set is better the city navigator or the os ones from Garmin. Does the os map still do turn by turn navigation on roads?

the osm maps are open source and there everyone can help with the maps and are not done by garmin people have just made them work for garmin devices.

the city nav maps sold by garmin have been created by a commercial mapping company.

not used the osm maps on the garmin itself but i have checked out the osm map on the web, as i am currently using the city nav maps from garmin which are the same maps used by garmin car sat nav devices and therefore misses out cycle paths etc and only include poi's and roads etc. basically what you would find on a car sat nav.

you can check this site to see how detailed your area is on the open source maps.

osm maps

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I use the garmin city maps for road, but have the osm mtb maps loaded on a spare SD card for off road as these include roads, bridleway, and canal paths.

The osm maps are getting better all the time as folk can correct or add sections.

I had a "demo" of the 800 today and was told:

It can't map at less than City level, towns and villages, never mind main roads are not on the basemap
It can't postcode search, it only goes to City level, and cannot find streets
Route planning is a straight line between points, it will not "route" following roads
You cannot use the Garmin Street Maps, or the OS Maps on the unit

Of course all of this was rubbish, and when I showed the demonstrator how to do a search - he was amazed.

Needless to say they did not get my custom!

zacklaws

Guru
I think I have used all the maps now that you can use on a 705/800. The views I have are from predominantly a road users and never go cross country, apart for the very odd occasion.

The OSM maps from the following website are the best that I have used:-

http://garmin.na1400.info/routable.php

The OSM maps from the following site I also use and like wise are very good, but they do on occasions have a tendency to route me across country, where no track or path exists. The contours from this site I also use with the OSM maps from the above site.

http://talkytoaster.info/ukmaps.htm

The OSM Velo maps I gave them one go and found that they would alter my course which was designed only on the road to go cross country and make a mess of everything, untill I changed back to another map, and then the course would go back to road only.

The Garmin Metroguide and city navigator is also very good and use quite often, but sometimes I like a bit more detail, which the OSM maps can provide.

The OS dicoverer maps I have just started using, but I find that the information at times can be a bit overwhelming, especcially in towns and cities etc when you are trying to spot what road you need. The pink line can be lost amongst all the background clutter, and when you get the zoom in map, I find the screen goes black, with just a white arrow and you see your position move up the arrow, workable but not ideal. Also when you zoom in, the detail becomes very large and blurred on the screen, unlike the others, which seems to keep to a modest scale and in focus on the screen. The OS maps will auto route and are more ideal for cross country navigation, and slower paced touring etc where you do not have to make snap decisions where to turn.

Top Bottom