Garmin Edge 820 - Battery Life

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Norry1

Legendary Member
I have a Garmin Edge 820 which in most respects I quite like. However, the battery life, which was never great, has reduced to around 4 hours or even less in some circumstances.

Does anyone know how to replace with a longer life battery?

I have a separate power pack I can take with me - but I don't want to be messing on a fast ride or a race. I also don't really want to buy a new Head Unit unless I have to.

Any ideas?

mattobrien

Guru
I had the same issue and bought a 530, much better battery and no regrets from my side. Easier to control too without the touch screen which wouldn't work if you were wearing gloves.

There are guides online to changing the battery, but you've got to remove the screen first without breaking it. Good luck

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
https://www.subtel.co.uk/index.php?...lang=1&cl=search&searchparam=edge+820+battery

looks like the power for the speaker is like my 200 with seperate wire fromt he battery you need to connect , my 800 is a lot easier as you dont have to muck about with it

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Moy6K4h7AIM

Very clear video thanks - but scared the life out of me. As someone who can cockup the simplest technical job, I'd be bound to screw this up. Garmin should offer it as a service.

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
As a very temporary expedient you can squeeze as much life as possible out of the current battery by setting a dimmer backlight and turn off the Bluetooth

Yep cheers - I have done all that and it does help but the life is still inadequate. Looks like I may have to get a new device. Time to try Wahoo?

OP
OP
Norry1

Norry1

Legendary Member
Hi @Norry1

Ive found Garmin not last 6-7 hours where Wahoo lasted 10hours +

Cheers Andy. The reviews all say most Wahoo devices have excellent battery life. Its just a shame as I really like my Garmin 820 otherwise and don't really want to change ...... or fork out another £300.

Paul_Smith SRCC

www.plsmith.co.uk
If you are thinking that the only solution is to replace then you could try a 'factory reset', when my Garmin 810 starts 'acting up' that is what I do and it often sorts things out; in addition continue to turn off blue tooth and reduce screen brightness. Yes I'd expect battery life to diminish with age but your 4 hours or less is very low, potentially there maybe an underlying issue especially as you say it's never been good; a factory reset may help if that's the case.

In comparison I get about 6 hours on that older Garmin 810 using the map screen following a course with tbt directions, like you I have turned off blue tooth and reduced brightness. If I need longer I will carry a power bank in my 'bar' or 'top tube' bag, the USB lead reaches perfectly. Last summer I rode an 8 hour day using tbt on the map screen, mid way around the course I was down to 50% battery so I knew I would be pushing my luck just using the 810's battery reserve so I plugged in the Power Bank. When I got home it had charged back up to 100%, the Powerbank (a Goji G10PBWP17) itself has battery indicator with four LEDs so you know how much charge it has left; it had all four still lit.

I already had that power bank, I didn't buy it with this in mind, it's waterproof and robust but you can get them much smaller, lighter and cheaper. Yes damaging connections could potentially be an issue, the way I look at it this is an old unit and I'm a bit less precious with it than I once was. I have had that power bank three years and only needed to use it once; most of my long days are on routes I know where I don't need the map screen permanently on, I can easily complete those rides without issue. I've seen a few who use a power bank to top up their device at a rest stop which would help minimise potential damage to the Usb connection.

580653 580654 580655
When it does finally give up ( I have had to make a home made 'power button' so fear I am on borrowed time ) I would be happy to update it with another 'Garmin'.

Features wise the Edge® Explore has all I'd need although the extra battery capacity of the 830 would probably sway me (upto 20 v 12 hours). Yes the 830 is more of an investment but my old 810 has lasted 8 years which is not bad for a piece of tech'; which for me would also be a consideration when justifying how much I am prepared to treat myself. The 530 is cheaper and also has 'upto 20 hours' battery life, I do find the 830 touch screen far more intuitive to use than the 530's buttons, plus the decider for me is that on my 810 as mentioned above it is that one of the buttons that has failed so a unit that has less buttons does appeal.

Last edited:

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
was in the same boat as you a few months ago. My old battery wouldnt even last 4hrs.

I bought a battery off ebay and swap it with the old one. I wouldnt say that you'd get the same battery life as the original battery when your unit was new but not far off. My Freshly swapped battery does my 520 probably close to 9 or 10hrs but i tend to charge it before it gets below 20%

I have my backlight at 10%, bluetooth off and a speed and cadence sensors hooked up.

This is the battery i purchased -- unfortunately there are tonnes of fake batteries on ebay over exaggerating their real capacity but this one has worked for me since i did the swap back in November or December last year.

If youre serious about having the battery replaced, I'll be willing to do it for you but your device might have the minor cosmetic blemish on return as i dont have the exact same tools in the video to pry up the screen. I use a guitar pick.

Ive done similar battery swap operations on other devices before as well so i am equipped with a soldering iron and wire strippers ready to go :becool::becool::becool:

Judging by the video shown in the previous post. The battery swap process is largely the same.

Last edited:

Chislenko

Veteran
You can get a Bryton with 30 hours battery for less than £100, does the same job, may not have the fashionable Garmin name but good enough for Israel Start Up Nation.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
You can get a Bryton with 30 hours battery for less than £100, does the same job, may not have the fashionable Garmin name but good enough for Israel Start Up Nation.
indeed someone i know uses brytons , i think in this case the OP is looking to replace the battery in a device he already has ?
another option is maybe to buy a battery and ask a phone shop to do it ? i got a guy on a local facebook page who does home cb radio to solder the connections to the speakers on my 200 , charged me £10 for his time which was worth it as the device is still at more than half power after a weeks commuting

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
indeed someone i know uses brytons , i think in this case the OP is looking to replace the battery in a device he already has ?
another option is maybe to buy a battery and ask a phone shop to do it ? i got a guy on a local facebook page who does home cb radio to solder the connections to the speakers on my 200 , charged me £10 for his time which was worth it as the device is still at more than half power after a weeks commuting

Could you ask your friend if the offline GPS is a thing? I read somewhere that if youre out and about and your bryton loses GPS connection, then you need to hook it up to your phone via bluetooth to get navigation back again. which is a bit arse backwards if you ask me.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Could you ask your friend if the offline GPS is a thing? I read somewhere that if youre out and about and your bryton loses GPS connection, then you need to hook it up to your phone via bluetooth to get navigation back again. which is a bit arse backwards if you ask me.
he has older models i doubt his has bluetooth and hes not techy enough to hook it up to his phone

Top Bottom