Garmin Edge or Wahoo Element?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Doobiesis

Über Member
im debating on whether to buy the wahoo element or the Garmin Edge.

I’ve read bad things about the Garmin with people getting frustrated with it not working. I have not read anything bad about the Wahoo.

When my results are done with I’m going to throw myself into my cycling as I have a charity cycle in September I need to get ready for.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

After 18 months of frustration with a garmin edge touring........ Turning itself off mid ride , freezing, losing turn by turn, the "normal" garmin issues apparently, in short, not fit for purpose,
The wahoo elemnt I replaced it with has been brilliant, just works as it should, easy to use, reliable & really good battery life.
IMO, absolutely no comparison!

si_c

Guru
Just had the same decision making process, and ended up going for the Garmin 820 over the Elemnt despite the reputation for being temperamental. Overall am very happy with my purchase.

In the end it came down to navigation as the 820 can do this from the unit itself - and will re-route automatically if off course, which the Elemnt apparently doesn't - whereas the wahoo unit requires the phone for routing. In other terms the units are pretty much comparable in functionality, but the ability to have the unit find another route for me is what I have it for in the first place, I don't want to have to get my phone out and rely on having a data connection to find where I'm going.

Gary E

Veteran
Had a Garmin Edge 705. an Edge 800 and now an Edge 1000. Each one has been easier to use than it's predecessor so Garmin must be paying attention?

The Edge 1000, I must say, has impressed me straight out of the box :smile:

I used to be in the ‘Garmin is cack’ camp. But the latest ones are a whole lot better. I tried a Wahoo, and found it to be not so intuitive and user friendly as the latest Garmins.

Gary E

Veteran
The problem is you often only hear comments about bad experiences and, to fair, there are a lot more Garmins out there at the moment than most other makes so it's hardly surprising that you hear their name more often than most?

I'm not saying my Garmin ownership path has been without bumps but when I've had issues they've usually been minor ones that have been easily addressed by consulting the odd YouTube video or even by asking for advice on this forum :smile:

zak3737

Über Member
My Element hasnt missed a beat for the 2years I've had it, been brilliant. Ok, I've not used it 'that much' for Naviagtion etc, but its very very easy to use, read, and is reliable as hell. The App is brill too, both very intuitive and customiseable.
Also very udeful for me is that the Element flashes if my phone goes off, and also displays emails/txts for me too, which is great for deciding if its something I need to respond to.
Garmin 'may' be better for Maps/Nav etc, I believe, but my mates has been a little problematic at times to say the least.

D

Deleted member 26715

I've had my Garmin Edge 800 now for five years (I think), done all the updates & it has never failed on me. Can't comment on Wahoo as never used one

Edit:- Actually to be fair the Garmin has just stopped transferring from connect.garmin to strava which used to work automatically, but I don't think that's the fault of the unit, more likely to be user error.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom