Garmin Edge or Wahoo Element?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
What’s the main use for the device? Navigation or recording stats and uploading to strava?

Which models are you considering?

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
What’s the main use for the device? Navigation or recording stats and uploading to strava?

Which models are you considering?

I am mainly going to be using it for stats and Strava. Want to be a bit faster so want to know when I’m going through a segment I could potentially get a QOM on.

Maps not really going to use as I plan my rides before I go and have my own routes stored in my head.

I was thinking of either the Garmin Edge 800 or the Wahoo Element.

vickster

Legendary Member
I am mainly going to be using it for stats and Strava. Want to be a bit faster so want to know when I’m going through a segment I could potentially get a QOM on.

Maps not really going to use as I plan my rides before I go and have my own routes stored in my head.

Get the 820 not 800 as the matter doesn’t auto upload via Bluetooth

The Elemnt is v good for the uses you describe although no idea if you can see live segments

Mo1959

Legendary Member

I'm not sure the Edge 800 does live segments. Could be wrong though. Plus you need to join Strava premium for this too.

May just be coincidence, but when I briefly tried using live segments on my Edge 520 I was finding it occasionally caused the computer to crash for some reason. Maybe just a glitch. Who knows.

tom73

Guru
I'm not sure the Edge 800 does live segments. Could be wrong though. Plus you need to join Strava premium for this too.

May just be coincidence, but when I briefly tried using live segments on my Edge 520 I was finding it occasionally caused the computer to crash for some reason. Maybe just a glitch. Who knows.

Wahoo dose live segments

D

Deleted member 26715

Mine doesn't but I don't have Premium & I'm not giving them my credit card details for a FREE trail. But even if it did I wouldn't use it/them

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
Garmin 1030 would be a great option but it’s double my budget.

Although I could save a bit longer.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Best all rounder for what you describe is the 520 or the Wahoo equivalent. My 520 has been great for coming two years now. Simple and effective. Or you could just use Strava on your phone. Gives you the same info.

13 rider

Guru
Another wahoo bolt user .love it so simple to use . Never had a Garmin so can't compare . The only time the bolts let me down was due to me forgetting to charge it for over a week . I regularly ride over 100 miles and fully charged at the start it's got over 30% left by the end . You will need Strava premium or what ever it's called for live segments and I think you have to pre Mark the segment

OP
OP
Doobiesis

Doobiesis

Über Member
Think I’m going to opt for the Garmin 820.

Thanks guys. Read so many bad reviews for the Garmin but knew I wanted that make. So good to know some people have had no issues.

Trigger369

Über Member
After 18 months of frustration with a garmin edge touring........ Turning itself off mid ride , freezing, losing turn by turn, the "normal" garmin issues apparently, in short, not fit for purpose,
The wahoo elemnt I replaced it with has been brilliant, just works as it should, easy to use, reliable & really good battery life.
IMO, absolutely no comparison!
I would say the exact same

Top Bottom