Garmin Edge

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oliglynn

Über Member
I'm considering getting a garmin edge 810. Intended use is for tracking regular rides + route planning & navigation every now and then when I venture further afield.

I'm a bit confused as to what bundle to get. I want performance bundle (cadence, speed + hrm sensors) but don't know whether to go for the navigation bundle too.

I wanted to get feedback on what the base maps are like compared to nav bundle maps, as these add a fair bit to the price.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
I wanted to get feedback on what the base maps are like compared to nav bundle maps, as these add a fair bit to the price.

The basemaps are next to useless for navigation. There are free or much cheaper alternatives, I think its from "talkytoaster". Have a search around.

I'm considering getting a garmin edge 810.
I don't know about the bundles, but I have heard a lot of bad reports about the 810's reliability.

A lot of people seem to recommend getting the 800 instead, it's apparently a more stable product.

That said perhaps the early problems have been sorted by now, I'm sure some 810 users will along shortly to assist.

OP
OP
oliglynn

oliglynn

Über Member
I could use my phone, and am at the moment, however I don't like to drain battery too much on the phone in case I need to make a call for rescue or something, so leave the phone in my pocket with screen off. I have a phone with a large screen so it munches through battery pretty quick. I like the idea of a computer that connects to phone with bluetooth, and uploads rides automatically.

I'm now thinking perhaps an Edge 510 would be a better (and more economical) option considering how often i'd use the navigation (I believe this is the only difference between them)

Soup890

Crazy
To be honest with you I'd go with the cheapest you can find, unless your into cycling competitively also ask yourself this question are you still going to use it in 3 years time?

BSRU

A Human Being
I went for an 800 performance bundle(only £10 dearer than the 800 alone) as the large extra amount of cash required for the 810 was not worth it to me, I didn't want the new features.

Carl G

I went for the HRS + O/S map bundle as there was a special offer at the time.
Overall, very pleased with it.

Top Bottom