Garmin Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Before i went out for a ride today i checked my Garmin Edge 130 for charge and it said sixty percent.Twenty five miles into the ride and i noticed that the battery was low and then five miles later it died not far from home.
When i got home i put it on charge using USB and within a few minute it was showing three bars out of four and i managed to recover my ride.
What is strange here is that the battery shouldn't have run out on if i only had done thirty three miles and why was it when i put it on charge it was showing three quarters full within a few minutes.?
I am wondering if the cold weather could have affected it?

Before i went out for a ride today i checked my Garmin Edge 130 for charge and it said sixty percent.Twenty five miles into the ride and i noticed that the battery was low and then five miles later it died not far from home.
When i got home i put it on charge using USB and within a few minute it was showing three bars out of four and i managed to recover my ride.
What is strange here is that the battery shouldn't have run out on if i only had done thirty three miles and why was it when i put it on charge it was showing three quarters full within a few minutes.?

How old is the unit? My old 130's battery has got a bit flakey with age and cold weather doesn't help :sad:

It's just coming up to three years old.
I'm using an app from the Garmin IQ store for the battery percentage.

Circa 3 years for me too. I got mine in 2018 and used it regularly on my commute and battery life was decent. Then with wfh it laid idle for a bit until I got a gravel bike last year and its battery was poor and especially so in cold weather 😐

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Probably this has been asked before but can you use an iPhone and the Garmin for the same ride to download to strav?

Merge the two files, upload once. Unless you want it to count double! :smile:

Sallar55

Veteran
Merge the two files, upload once. Unless you want it to count double! :smile:
I am using 2 Garmin's ,one for backup as my Edge touring can't decide if its got a full charge or not . Upload the 2 fit files , make one private . Private runs don't count on challenges or club distance or climb and on Veloviewer tiles only count once.

OP
OP
The Central Scrutinizer
This is my first ride out since this post and once again the Garmin played up.
Just under three miles into my ride and i looked at the unit and for some reason it was on the home screen.I pushed though the buttons to get on the data field pages and everything was working except the distance which stayed on 2.53 miles.
At this point i turned on the Strava record on my iphone as i didn't want to lose my ride.The garmin then kept going to the auto power down screen and i was cancelling this every time it came on.
When i got home the phone had recorded the rest of my ride but the garmin just showed the 2.53 miles,
The weather wasn't cold so that cannot be the reason this time.
Anyone knows what could be causing this?

Sallar55

Veteran
Bought an edge explore as my 1000 was beyond repair. The new one has turned the GPS off a few times by itself, done an update and i think its fixed . Battery saver also decided to stay on even when switched off that's OK now. For a few days it was doing my head in , if i was not away on tour it would have been sent back.

D

Deleted member 26715

Have you tried to remove all Activities from the device, I've had something similar in the past, my logic is the unit takes up a lot of space whilst it's working, so it runs out of space & crashes, delete the files & all is good again.

Top Bottom