Garmin withdrawing support for Windows XP :(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robing

Über Member
I've had my Garmin Edge 500 for 4 years and have been happily uploading my rides on to Garmin Connect using my laptop or desktop PC. It connects via mini USB. It was a simple process via the Garmin website. Now this is no longer possible. I had to download Garmin Express, a very cumbersome bit of software to do it and they are announcing that they will soon no longer be supporting Windows XP and I will need to upgrade my OS to WIndows VIsta at least.

Does anyone know any way round this or will I have to upgrade? Both my computers are Win XP. I have Android tablets/smart phone but the Edge 500 can only connect via mini USB (no Bluetooth or wi-fi) so needs either WIndows PC or Mac.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Likely means they just won't be supporting the OS with updates but Express will still function on XP(to a point in time where even updates for Vista won't be sustainable)

BrynCP

Über Member
In what way do you find Garmin Express cumbersome, just wondering?

For me it just sits there running, auto syncs my activities, and auto syncs them super fast, no matter how many activities are on the device, unlike the communicator plugin which gets exponentially slower the more activities there are. They then just appear in Connect, and all I ever did was plug it in.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
In what way do you find Garmin Express cumbersome, just wondering?

For me it just sits there running, auto syncs my activities, and auto syncs them super fast, no matter how many activities are on the device, unlike the communicator plugin which gets exponentially slower the more activities there are. They then just appear in Connect, and all I ever did was plug it in.

This ^^

Plug in my 200 or my 500 and all rides are synced automatically. No drama.

Might be something to do with the laptop/pc GExp is ran on. I find it smooth and fast on the office pc but on this laptop it's a bit more hit or miss; sometimes although my PC recognises the device for browsing/uploading/uploading from/to GC etc; GExp refuses to recognise it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Our main PC has been on XP until recently when we started getting issues - it's about 10 years old but still pretty nippy (2GB Mem Athlon 64 3400)

An upgrade (fresh) install of Win 7 went OK. The main thing I did was upgrade the graphics card. It had a Radeon x850 XT PE (AGP) in it and at the time this was a blisteringly fast card (cost £250), but it wasn't playing video well anymore. Managed to get a mint second hand Radeon HD3850 (AGP) which hits about 7 out of 8 on the Windows score (not bad for an aged machine). The machine is actually running better on 7 than XP - it's also had a big clear out.

The only compatability was with a new(ish) Belkin USB hub - it didn't like it ! Garmin Express was re-installed and all was OK. The main reasons were also improved internet explorer as MS stopped support too. Strava only likes the latest versions.

The other option we had was to put Garmin Express on one of the kids PC's, but seeing that I'm constantly removing browser hyjacks from my son's laptop, nope!

Our other issue was we have a Diabetes analytical programme for m lads blood glucose meter and making sure the data was safe before the upgrade was essential. Even that programme now runs better under Win 7.

If you've got 2GB RAM, half decent processor, and a good graphics card you'll be OK.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
I believe Garmin are moving away from the Connect plugin as the main browsers are starting to deprecate plugin support. I think Garmin express is written using microsoft's .Net 4.0 framework, which isn't supported on XP (I thought it wasn't supported by Vista either, but you live and learn)

RANT......
That's not to say Garmin aren't behaving badly though. They've recently 'closed' their API (application programming interface) for garmin connect so that you can't write programs to access your data. To get access to the API (of unspecified functionality) they'd like £5000 please. They claim this is so they can focus on a select number of approved third party applications, but it's really a piece of anti-competitive business sharp practice that WILL backfire. There are already a number of niche developers that will no longer support access to the Garmin environment. There are issues with Strava's API, but they're not so overtly money grubbing and feck-you as Garmin.

This might sound a rarefied gripe, but this kind of practice sets off all sorts of alarm bells about Garmin's business model going forward.

OP
OP
robing

robing

Über Member
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I find Garmin Express cumbersome as it's always on and was slow to initially install. But that could be because my computers are slow. And yes, maybe it is time I upgraded but I don't want to be forced to purely to upload my Garmin files. If XP will still work with Garmin Express but there won't be any updates then that's fine. ( similar situation with Microsoft, ie no more xp updates, which could be why Garmin have followed suit.)

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I find Garmin Express cumbersome as it's always on and was slow to initially install. But that could be because my computers are slow. And yes, maybe it is time I upgraded but I don't want to be forced to purely to upload my Garmin files. If XP will still work with Garmin Express but there won't be any updates then that's fine. ( similar situation with Microsoft, ie no more xp updates, which could be why Garmin have followed suit.)
Probably due to being "out of date" How many OS's were released after XP not including 64 bit versions? I'm sure roughly the same thing was said when support for 95 98 and ME were dropped.

I had to upgrade OS to play CoD Black Ops 2 when it was released,just because 1 piece of coding didn't exist for XP - and now I have to upgrade again to use video editing software.

Move with the times..

fossyant

Moving with the times isn't always easy. My wife has quite a bit of embroidery software for her embroidery machines, and we don't know if it's compatible with Win 7 yet - not tried it. The software was quite expensive though.

XP works really well, but it is showing it's age. Win 7 rather than Vista though, and if you have a relative in HE, they might be able to get you a license for a few quid !

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
Moving with the times isn't always easy. My wife has quite a bit of embroidery software for her embroidery machines, and we don't know if it's compatible with Win 7 yet - not tried it. The software was quite expensive though.

XP works really well, but it is showing it's age. Win 7 rather than Vista though, and if you have a relative in HE, they might be able to get you a license for a few quid !

I have a customer who has a optical machine and the S/W that drives it only runs on XP and the manufacturer wont update the S/W so it works on a newer OS, the cost to replace it £45,000 :ohmy:

fossyant

I have a customer who has a optical machine and the S/W that drives it only runs on XP and the manufacturer wont update the S/W so it works on a newer OS, the cost to replace it £45,000 :ohmy:

It's bonkers isn't it. XP was falling over for us though after years of software - didn't dare un-install it due to my wife's stuff and my son's iabetes software (they had Win 7 compatability issues). But had to take the plunge or fork out for a new desktop (when we have new I7 and I5 laptops at home - the I7 being top end :ohmy: - my wife want's a computer she can use and not the kids messing it up).

The move to Win 7 has been great with the clear out and fresh install. Vastly improved boot speed and generally much zippier than an old XP install.

The biggest issue was updates, even a newly downloaded installation (genuine license) still needed nearly 300 updates. Just had to leave the machne on for over a day to sort itself out. Madness

Top Bottom