Gear / chain problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ph1mmy

I was wondering if anyone knows whats wrong with my bike. Its a brand new Specialized Globe.

When I'm riding along in any mid-range gear the bike is fine but when I select a High or Low gear the chain/gears start making 'ticking' noises and it feels as though the chain is struggling to find the gear a bit, although it seems to ride ok.

Can anyone help with this? Any comments would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks

Take it back to the shop, it's still covered by warranty and it's the shop's responsibility to resolve the issue.

RedBike

It sounds like the chain is catching on the front mech.
(You should try and avoid using ratios that cause the chain to run at an angle.)

As above,
If the bikes new get the shop to sort it.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
i would suspect that the cables need a little adjustment. The shop should of made sure that they were correctly working before allowing the bike out, but, after a short while the cables do stretch a bit and so need tensioning. The shop should do this on their first "free" service after a couple of months.

gbb

Legendary Member
I woudnt worry ph1mmy...if its brand new, the shop should give it a tweak when they give it's free 'service' after a few weeks.(this is normal practice isnt it ?..anyone ?)

My new Bianchi has gone a little out adjustment...i've no doubt my LBS would re-set it for me if i asked...i'll do mine myself, it's not difficult once you've learned how.

LOL, i've just read Paulus's post above...

If you leave it for weeks until your first service there is every chance that you'll damage the front derailleur from having the chain rub on it constantly, not a big deal but damage nontheless. And it'll annoy the hell out of you and every one within earshot. Take it back to the shop. They have a legal obligation to fix it.

It is gbb but the thing to do is take it in now NOT for the first service but tell them that the gears are not right and can you sort it. If they say well we will give it its first service say no you will bring it back at a later date. This is so if you still have a problem with it you can take it back but don't leave it longer then 1 year.

gbb

Legendary Member
spandex said:
It is gbb but the thing to do is take it in now NOT for the first service but tell them that the gears are not right and can you sort it. If they say well we will give it its first service say no you will bring it back at a later date. This is so if you still have a problem with it you can take it back but don't leave it longer then 1 year.

Yes, good point. I'm working on the principle that my LBS would do it for me anyway, now or later....its a very simple fix.

This is where you find out how good your LBS is ph1mmy.
I work on the principle they're worth building a relationship with in the long term. Get to know them, spend a bit with them...hopefully, when you need a little help in the future..they'll be helpfull in return.

Oddjob62

Another forum n00bie here, also just got a Specialized (globe sport) a couple of days ago, had to spend some time last night fiddling with the cable tension to get the gears changing smoothly (with assistance from some youtube vids). Yeah i could have taken it back to the shop and go them to do it, but it's hardly rocket science and i wanted to learn the ins and outs of my new purchase. This is my 3rd bike, following the BMX when i was 8 and the old 2nd hand mountain bike i used for a summer 5 years ago so i'm basically a complete novice. Bike rides nicely now :laugh:

gbb

Legendary Member
Oddjob62 said:
Another forum n00bie here, also just got a Specialized (globe sport) a couple of days ago, had to spend some time last night fiddling with the cable tension to get the gears changing smoothly (with assistance from some youtube vids). Yeah i could have taken it back to the shop and go them to do it, but it's hardly rocket science and i wanted to learn the ins and outs of my new purchase. This is my 3rd bike, following the BMX when i was 8 and the old 2nd hand mountain bike i used for a summer 5 years ago so i'm basically a complete novice. Bike rides nicely now :laugh:

That's how i found out Oddjob..tis really quite simple when you know how.

OP
OP
P

ph1mmy

Firstly, thanks v.much for all of your comments! They are greatly appreciated.

I would take it back to the store but I bought it online as it was a fair bit cheaper than any of my LBS's.

I think its prob a good idea to take it to my LBS anyway as I have none to very little knowledge on bikes.

Thanks again

Willow

I have the same problem and have improved it slightly with advice from here but to be honest I'm scared to muck up so taking it back to the shop tomorrow. this is when I wish I'd bought it from the local BS and not the one 10 miles away which I thought was better. hey ho.

Top Bottom