Gearing snobbery?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crandoggler

I absolutely love my 32. Often use it too.

Crandoggler

I like to enjoy cycling, not enjoy the fact that other people think I'm a better cyclist because I grind up hills with a smaller cassette.

adamangler

Veteran
Well if you're very fit and putting out high watts on climbs a 32 is going to be rarely used in this country. Whereas if your new and overweight it's going to be needed often. I know so.eone who rides a 53/39 with am 11-25 and he spins up climbs I mash with a 34-28 . He's fitter than me obviously and would indeed say he could ride up a house with a 32.

Good post Gearing snobbery, YES.

Leaving out the road bike, and living in the Pennines.
A hero of mine in the 70s put 30 gears on his touring bike.
Using a five speed of the time, combined with a Sturmey Archer 3 speed.

I have just equal this feat, in spite of Shimano.
The bike and load weight in at 25 to 30 Kg, to ride this weight up a 10% hill.
F 52-39-30 (Shimano hollowtech 11) That's the best 3 ratios around, it gives you half gear's for long gradients,
for if your cadence drops below 70 trouble. Lets face it the weight of an extra ring and bit of chain is negligible.
R 12-36 (SRAM and dérailleur) 10 speed cassette and lots of Chocolate.

It's practical: (no hub-gear drag) works just fine best thing I have done.
Full speck available for interested parties.

Well if you're very fit and putting out high watts on climbs a 32 is going to be rarely used in this country.
It is not the wattage but the pedalling force that is reduced by low gears. As "grandad" a few posts back noted, he kept climbing whilst all those younger, fitter, higher wattage riders ran out of low gear and could not generate the turning force so they stalled. It is like starting your car on a hill in 3rd gear.

Ajax Bay

Guru
he kept climbing whilst all those younger, fitter, higher wattage riders ran out of low gear and could not generate the turning force so they stalled
Isn't rather that, though they had the 'power' they were unable to keep their bikes balanced/upright while they put the required force at that the cadence determined by their 34/26 or whatever through the pedals? Or am I dancing on the head of a pin? IMO 50% of getting up a hill is believing you can and you're going to get up.

gbb

Legendary Member
Hi i'm new to this 32t-28t malarky. but i've just counted mine and i think i've got it right, I have a ridgeback flight 01 and on the rear 11t - 32t and the front 28t - 48t, would this be correct?? i'm so used to saying it's a 24 gear bike lol
In simple terms, you have a triple. I note you say 28/48 but I see the specs quote 26/38/48...unless I picked up the wrong model.
A road triple is generally different to a hybrid triple, they generally run something like a 30/39/52....
On the rear, a hybrid will generally range 11 or 12 up to about 30 or 32, while a road bike will generally be 11 to 28.
Its just different gearing catering for different style bikes/conditions/customers.
Oh yes, and in simple terms, hybrids do tend to me termed 24 speed orwhatever the combination is, while a road bikes are termed by just the cogs on the rear, 8,9,10 or 11 speed.

Last edited:

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I am 6ft 6" and weigh 21 stone. Not exactly KOM material. Without a triple on the front and a 32T cassette on the back, I would be stuck in the Stroud Valleys like a spider in the bathtub. With both of the above fitted to my bike, I can get up nearly every hill our club rides have ever attempted. I'm a regular visitor to the Alps and the mountains of Scotland and I'm free to go wherever I want on my bike. I couldn't give a rat's ass whether anyone looks down their noses at me.

Top Bottom