Gearing snobbery?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
True gear snobbery would involve pointing out that Campagnolo cassettes only go up to 29...
I stand corrected

http://road.cc/content/tech-news/182759-campagnolo-unveils-new-potenza-groupset-first-ride

midlife

Guru
This is my idea of a spread of rear cogs.....

file.php?id=354812.jpg

Shaun

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
You're right, just looked I was at the Vuelta 09 and none of them were there. Was it 2010?
2010 was the year Nibbles won. Sky withdrew after the death of soigneur Txema Gonzalez. 2011, Wiggo and Froome were there, but lost out to the possibly-doping Cobo. Nibali finished 7th, 4' 31" down- he had been third but cracked on the final climb of stage 14 & never got the time back. Either not Nibali or not the Vuelta, I think.

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
2010 was the year Nibbles won. Sky withdrew after the death of soigneur Txema Gonzalez. 2011, Wiggo and Froome were there, but lost out to the possibly-doping Cobo. Nibali finished 7th, 4' 31" down- he had been third but cracked on the final climb of stage 14 & never got the time back. Either not Nibali or not the Vuelta, I think.
You're right it was 2011 , the year that Froome was acting as chief domestic to Wiggins so it must have been Cobo in stage 15 ,

"Despite hailing from nearby Cantabria, this was the first time that Cobo had tackled the fabled Asturian climb. “I had planned to come and reconnoitre it between the Tour of Burgos and the Vuelta in order to choose which gear to use, but I didn’t have the time to do it,” he confessed, adding that in the end he chose a 34x32"

IRinC :okay:

Kajjal

Guru
Isn't rather that, though they had the 'power' they were unable to keep their bikes balanced/upright while they put the required force at that the cadence determined by their 34/26 or whatever through the pedals? Or am I dancing on the head of a pin? IMO 50% of getting up a hill is believing you can and you're going to get up.
I went mountain biking with someone who thought the same. They tried to power up a long steep trail and after a few minutes exploded and a long time to recover their speed. You are right about part of climbing hills is in the mind. Once you conquer a good hill you then know it is possible.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I was looking at that and thinking "That looks great, if only it were not black" but then I noticed that there is a silver option too.
I'm tempted, as a replacement for the 9sp triple on the CdF. Probably can't afford it though :sad:.

Before any gear snobs weigh in, the CdF is my commute/winter/go anywhere bike so I need to be able to ride it up 25% hills, loaded, in the snow. Other bike had a compact with a 25 tooth largest sprocket, and latterly a standard chainset with a 29 and takes me all over the Peak District no problem, thank you very much. :tongue:

Isn't rather that, though they had the 'power' they were unable to keep their bikes balanced/upright while they put the required force at that the cadence determined by their 34/26 or whatever through the pedals? Or am I dancing on the head of a pin? IMO 50% of getting up a hill is believing you can and you're going to get up.
If you can't generate enough force to rotate the gears, you stall. Riders can balance without pedalling using the track-stand. I may believe that I can climb a hill in my highest gear, but I can't; I need a suitable gear or I will wreck my knees..

Top Bottom