Gearing snobbery?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Louch

105% knowledge on 105
I'm 32, 16 stone and my new bike has a 28 cassette. I don't think there is a massive difference from the 32 that I am used to, and my times up hills are staying about the same on it. as said above, if you find your cadence is too low when climbing, you are stalling the bike and you need a lower gear. I likely will change to a 32 again once I have the money to change deraillieur and cassette as around where I am, 20% + slopes gove me the heave and I'd change down and spin a cadence than have a mini panic that sends the HR over 200

OP
OP
B

bondirob

I'm 32, 16 stone and my new bike has a 28 cassette. I don't think there is a massive difference from the 32 that I am used to, and my times up hills are staying about the same on it. as said above, if you find your cadence is too low when climbing, you are stalling the bike and you need a lower gear. I likely will change to a 32 again once I have the money to change deraillieur and cassette as around where I am, 20% + slopes gove me the heave and I'd change down and spin a cadence than have a mini panic that sends the HR over 200

You can get away with a short cage derailleur on a 32 cassette even though the bike shop may tell you otherwise.

winjim

Smash the cistern
So is this 'groupset' or more broadly groupset 'make' snobbery?
More an observation that a lot of people talk about (Shimano) groupsets without even mentioning the brand, as if they are unaware that other makes even exist.
You've hit on one of Shimano's greatest strengths - their stuff works a treat straight out of the box.
My Campagnolo Chorus was a doddle to set up. I got it working on the stand and was fully expecting it to need adjustment once I got out the road, but I haven't had to touch it.

Nibor

Bewildered
We live in proper Lancashire Nibor, not that flat bit west of Blackburn!:okay:
Indeed we do hills on all directions I have decided to do a serious bike update..........I am cutting down on the beer to lose some flab aiming to lose a couple of stone this will not be a marginal gain lol.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Indeed we do hills on all directions I have decided to do a serious bike update..........I am cutting down on the beer to lose some flab aiming to lose a couple of stone this will not be a marginal gain lol.

Maybe we could meet up one day for a ride? Would you fancy joining our Wednesday cycling club? Nothing formal and no one gets left behind. I can vouch for that as when i first joined they were forever waiting for me to catch up!:okay:

Top Bottom