Gears can't get them just right

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tom73

Guru
The gears have been playing up a bit so now i've a work stand and my hand is well on mend. I thought i'd fix them after reading up and watching youtube. Once i'd given them a good clean and re lubed I moved on to indexing them. (full 105 group set)

My issue is that I just can't get the rear cassette to work right going up 1-4 the rest are now running sweet as.

My other issue is once the bike was up on the stand it was clear that the front cassette and chain are rubbing. The outer ring when on the last 3 rear gears and the inner ring on the 1st two rear gears.

I just can't get them to adjust so they work right without throwing out the one's that are now ok.

screenman

Legendary Member
Rear mech alignment should be the very first step.

vickster

Legendary Member
Didn’t you crash it? Could well be the mech. If no alignment tool, pop to LBS? Shimano 11 Speed gears also don’t seem to like cross chaining, very noisy

Drago

Legendary Member
New cables better not need them the bike's not quite 2 mouth old :rolleyes:

We're the cables any good to begin with, or just cheap tosh?

mikeymustard

Veteran
Your 1st issue is almost certainly bent hanger or mech as others have stated; issue no. 2 - by first and last gears do you mean biggest and smallest? If so (e.g. the chain is rubbing when on large front and 3 smallest rear) that sounds like you need to move the hi lo screws out a little and use the trim setting to get the extra space needed at the other end

Levo-Lon

Guru
If its 2 month old take it to the shop.
Its most likely alignment but it may need an experienced eye to spot the problem.
You can get gears to run lovely on a stand,then they rub when under load!! And vice versa.

Have you checked the mech bolt to the frame is tight ? Being new it may be lose, mine was on my cube after struggling with similar annoyance.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
Your 1st issue is almost certainly bent hanger or mech as others have stated; issue no. 2 - by first and last gears do you mean biggest and smallest? If so (e.g. the chain is rubbing when on large front and 3 smallest rear) that sounds like you need to move the hi lo screws out a little and use the trim setting to get the extra space needed at the other end

@mikeymustard should have said what I mean. I've numbered them from the front so 1 is the smallest.

OP
OP
tom73

tom73

Guru
If its 2 month old take it to the shop.
Its most likely alignment but it may need an experienced eye to spot the problem.
You can get gears to run lovely on a stand,then they rub when under load!! And vice versa.

Have you checked the mech bolt to the frame is tight ? Being new it may be lose, mine was on my cube after struggling with similar annoyance.

Just checked it's tight so not that :sad:

Will Spin

Über Member
Go to the Shimano web site and download the dealer's manual for the FD and RD. Read this before reading anything else about setting up and adjusting the gears.

Top Bottom