gears problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i went for a ride today (7 miles) and loving the speed and ease of the new road bike but when i changed the gear from the small ring on the front to the smallest on the rear the chain made hell of a noise.

tonight i have just gone out and checked the range of motion of all the gears.

i have noticed the following.

1. when in the smallest front and rear the chain rubs the front derailleur cage and makes a noise which gets louder with more rpm.
2. to change from the small ring on the front to the largest i have to be in the largest ring on the rear otherwise it doesn't change and even then it isn't smooth.

when i got the bike delivered from wiggle i took it to the LBS for setup and i will taking it back to them tomorrow to sort out the front derailleur.

any ideas what it is.

Tyres23

I was advised as you will be you should not use small to small and big to big this can cause chain stretch and chain rub on the derailier

betty swollocks

large member
I'm guessing that you have two chainrings on the front and ten sprockets at the back.
When using the big front chainring, only the five smallest sprockets should be used. Similarly, when on the small chainring, only use the five largest sprockets. Avoid large to large and small to small combinations.
Learn to adjust the gears yourself: it's quite easy

OP
OP
terry_gardener

terry_gardener

Veteran
I'm guessing that you have two chainrings on the front and ten sprockets at the back.
When using the big front chainring, only the five smallest sprockets should be used. Similarly, when on the small chainring, only use the five largest sprockets. Avoid large to large and small to small combinations.
Learn to adjust the gears yourself: it's quite easy

you have guessed right sram rival compact, 2 chainrings on front and 10 on back.

that video is good but how do you do it for the front.

betty swollocks

large member
you have guessed right sram rival compact, 2 chainrings on front and 10 on back.

that video is good but how do you do it for the front.

By only using the gear combinations as above, your front changer may do what's required, if not - and you say the bike is new, the cable has probably stretched a bit, so it's a bit loose and not pulling the cage across as much as it should. Tighten the cable by winding out (anti-clockwise) the barrel adjuster a quarter turn at a time until all works slickly again.
Hope you get it sorted. It's really worthwhile and very satisfying to be able to do these routine adjustments yourself.

Also worth noting that changing up at the front is rarely a nice clickety click process like at the back, you may need to press and hold the changer while pedalling to allow the derailer to push the chain from front small to front big.

jig-sore

Formerly the anorak
Also worth noting that changing up at the front is rarely a nice clickety click process like at the back, you may need to press and hold the changer while pedalling to allow the derailer to push the chain from front small to front big.

good point. i keep having to explain this to the wife :rolleyes:

OP
OP
terry_gardener

terry_gardener

Veteran
i had a go at changing the cable tension and it now goes to the large ring on the front but it then sounded like a loud click when changing down from large ring to small.

took to LBS who setup the bike and they had a look at the gears and they said it was working as it should.

also stated not to go into the small rear to small front gear combo.

since it was my first road bike and never know what they where like just thought the loud clicking noise i did something to the cable ie over tightened or something, but they said it sounded and goes through the gears as it should.

the back goes up and down quiet and smoothly and expected the front to work the same.

so pose it is all part of the learning curve for road bikes.

thank you for all the replies.

Top Bottom