gels...is it a myth?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I like my energy gels in the shape of a banana, Snickers bar, fruitcake or for longer rides a pasty shape. A quick bit of munching and you have a tasty gel like substance in your mouth ready to swallow and give that much needed energy boost.

DWiggy

Über Member
Jam sandwich with lots of jam is just as good

screenman

Legendary Member
We have guys that get through a litre of energy drink in a 1 hour swimming session, why? They are often the slightly shall we say heavier one's. Not saying they do not have their uses I am sure some do, but not during a short training session.

winjim

Smash the cistern
They're space food, just like the 1970s told us we'd be eating in the distant 21st century. For that reason alone I love 'em :becool:

vickster

Legendary Member
We have guys that get through a litre of energy drink in a 1 hour swimming session, why? They are often the slightly shall we say heavier one's. Not saying they do not have their uses I am sure some do, but not during a short training session.
I don't think I've ever had a drink while swimming?! (well other than pool water of course xx( )

Hip Priest

Veteran
I'm sure they have their uses in a racing environment - if you're attacking the last climb of a tour de france stage you can hardly chew through a slice of malt loaf - but if it's just a long endurance ride you're better off with ordinary food.

vickster

Legendary Member
Make use of the provided food stops and stick a few bits in your jersey pocket.
I shall use a bar bag when I do Ride 100...having had back surgery years ago, I can't bear having anything against my lower back, food, pump, inner tubes, phone, anything...also it gets hot and sweaty, not good for food next to it xx(

Top Bottom