gels...is it a myth?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Wasn't necessarily what I was alluding too :whistle:
...I think quite a lot of blokes treat sportives as some sort of macho w*l*y waving contest...as they aren't a race as THMNET pointed out (a challenge, enjoyable experience, chance to ride with others possibly on closed roads, get some free High 5 vile gel stuff, etc etc?)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Who was it said that gels taste like you'd imagine a tellytubby blow job?

They're good quick sugars if you've nothing else but I'd avoid them otherwise. Much better stuff around.

theloafer

Legendary Member
better still ..knock yourself one of these ^_^ very tasty :hungry:
IMG_2534.jpg

a few slices of this will get you round easy....

BRANFLAKE LOAF

More delicious than shop bought malt loaf and so easy to fling together
a child can do it. This must be one of the only cake mixtures that looks and tastes
pretty revolting in the bowl, but honestly, the end result is well worth the complete lack of effort...

Best sliced thinly and eaten with butter or jam.

1 mug of Kellogg's All-Bran
1 mug of either currants, mixed dried fruit or sultanas
1 mug of milk
1 mug of self-raising flour
A generous half-mug of caster or soft brown sugar

Method

1. Put everything except the flour in a large bowl and leave the mixture to stand for about an hour.

2. Grease and long-strip-line a standard size loaf tin and pre-heat the oven to approximately Gas Mark 3 (160 C)

3. Sift the flour into the soggy mixture, stir it in well and pour the whole lot into the loaf tin, spreading it evenly up to the sides.

4. Bake in a cool oven for about an hour and a half, until a skewer or sharp knife inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
better still ..knock yourself one of these ^_^ very tasty :hungry: View attachment 77682

a few slices of this will get you round easy....

BRANFLAKE LOAF

More delicious than shop bought malt loaf and so easy to fling together
a child can do it. This must be one of the only cake mixtures that looks and tastes
pretty revolting in the bowl, but honestly, the end result is well worth the complete lack of effort...

Best sliced thinly and eaten with butter or jam.

1 mug of Kellogg's All-Bran
1 mug of either currants, mixed dried fruit or sultanas
1 mug of milk
1 mug of self-raising flour
A generous half-mug of caster or soft brown sugar

Method

1. Put everything except the flour in a large bowl and leave the mixture to stand for about an hour.

2. Grease and long-strip-line a standard size loaf tin and pre-heat the oven to approximately Gas Mark 3 (160 C)

3. Sift the flour into the soggy mixture, stir it in well and pour the whole lot into the loaf tin, spreading it evenly up to the sides.

4. Bake in a cool oven for about an hour and a half, until a skewer or sharp knife inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
mmmmmm...that looks delicious...even better than sorreen malt

OP
OP
runner

runner

Guru
thanks for the unbelievable and varied replies, I think I really only wanted to carry the gels on my training runs but just looks as sensible to stick to the good old bananas and mix in with a few jordan frusli bars^_^

screenman

Legendary Member
Who was it said that gels taste like you'd imagine a tellytubby blow job?

They're good quick sugars if you've nothing else but I'd avoid them otherwise. Much better stuff around.

Do you use them on the sub 10mph club rides you about the other day?

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I made this Banana and Peanut Butter Loaf last week that was very tasty (I didn't make my own peanut butter though). This is from a series called "Food not Gels".

PS going back to the Froome incident, he's all skin and bones. Not an ounce of fat on him, so it's not surprising he gets tired easily, poor lamb.

Last edited:

mjr

Do you use them on the sub 10mph club rides you about the other day?
Nope. Those spend long enough in the halfway pub or cafe that it's not needed! I think the last time I used one was about 3 miles from the end of the last sportive I did (and possibly the last I'll do), when the last feed station was AWOL.

(For those who didn't see the other thread: that group plans on 10mph but sometimes weatherr has meant it's slower and that's OK. It's a fun ride not a TT.)

It's telling that people USE gels rather than EAT them, isn't it? Do people who like gels not really like food all that much?

screenman

Legendary Member
I must admit, after riding and racing on and off for over 45 years, I have never used gels, or had the bonk, maybe just lucky. So should I start using them?

mjr

I must admit, after riding and racing on and off for over 45 years, I have never used gels, or had the bonk, maybe just lucky. So should I start using them?
I suspect you know yourself more than many riders. I wouldn't start if I were you. I only did because I was given some and shan't buy more. You're not missing anything.

Top Bottom