gels...is it a myth?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Then you have obviously not read any of the claims from the people who make them.
Save us from googling and post some "claims" :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
I can't personally swallow them, so the choking holds and I expect if I were to choke, sooner or later I'd puke :ohmy:

The OP should give them a try while preparing for the sportive, not on the day

Last edited:

BRounsley

Über Member
I once attempted “to gel”, when I got one free with something. It was a lot runnier than I expected. I got very little in my month and the majority on my cycle mitt, which became a sticky gauntlet. I reckon I could have Spidermaned up a glass skyscraper with two gelled gloves.

winjim

Smash the cistern
There's some dissent about that: visit http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2013/07/what-to-eat-before-during-and-after-your-workouts-races/ and browse down to "3 Reasons Not To Eat Concentrated Sugars When You’re Racing" for one view.
If there are over a dozen ingredients you can barely even pronounce, it’s usually a pretty good sign your body is going to have difficulty digesting it during a workout, or that it might not be that great for your long-term health.
Time for this again:
19cthsq3h02qrpng.png

http://io9.com/what-if-natural-products-came-with-a-list-of-ingredient-1503320184

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I don't know, I've never paid £75 for a sportive. I assume there is some degree of sponsorship by companies peddling their wares
OK I exagerate, but on the principal of there being no such thing as a free lunch, I reckon you are paying for the 'free' pack somewhere along the line. Aren't Wiggle sportives £30+, and some much more expensive? I'll stick to Audax myself. I do use Hi5 gels rarely, and their low fat energy bars, but a shop bought flapjack works for me, though much higher fat content.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Why not read from the packet, 'member that the topic is about the myth rather than the reality.
From their websites

High5:
  • Race proven in the World’s toughest competitions
  • Real juice flavours for a light refreshing taste
  • 23g of carbohydrate
  • Caffeine Free
  • Easy to carry and open
SIS:
• 22 grams of carbohydrate per gel
• Isotonic formulation delivers energy fast
• Convenient gel format

Nothing too controversial there. I think it's self-regulating, surely if one manufacturer started making unsubstantiated claims, the others would sue them? It's a competitive market.

vickster

Legendary Member
OK I exagerate, but on the principal of there being no such thing as a free lunch, I reckon you are paying for the 'free' pack somewhere along the line. Aren't Wiggle sportives £30+, and some much more expensive? I'll stick to Audax myself. I do use Hi5 gels rarely, and their low fat energy bars, but a shop bought flapjack works for me, though much higher fat content.
I'm doing ride 100 cos it's local and on roads I know but while closed which will be a very different experience, I've never had any interest in any other sportive and audax doesn't appeal as ultimately I'm not really a long distance cyclist. Training consistently to be one would probably goose my joints once and for all!!

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
From their websites

High5:
  • Race proven in the World’s toughest competitions
  • Real juice flavours for a light refreshing taste
  • 23g of carbohydrate
  • Caffeine Free
  • Easy to carry and open
SIS:
• 22 grams of carbohydrate per gel
• Isotonic formulation delivers energy fast
• Convenient gel format

Nothing too controversial there. I think it's self-regulating, surely if one manufacturer started making unsubstantiated claims, the others would sue them? It's a competitive market.
Indeed

I'm doing ride 100 cos it's local and on roads I know but while closed which will be a very different experience, I've never had any interest in any other sportive and audax doesn't appeal as ultimately I'm not really a long distance cyclist. Training consistently to be one would probably goose my joints once and for all!!
As in Prudential London-Surrey?

Top Bottom