gels...is it a myth?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ayceejay

Guru
If you Google 'gel' you get hair products and sports supplements, you should use both if you want to look good on the podium after a sportive.

The ingredients of Hammer gels reads as such:-

Ingredients: long-chain maltodextrin, filtered water, apple juice concentrate, Energy Smart® (fruit juice, natural grain dextrins), malic acid, vanilla, cinnamon, potassium sorbate (as a preservative), sodium chloride, amino acids.

Which translates as - nice tasting sugar, with a bit of salt.

Tin Pot

Guru
Human body isn't designed to consume food during exercise.

Gels are developed specifically to address that, and work.

So, yes. Use them on endurance rides.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Human body isn't designed to consume food during exercise.
As you can tell because no-one can eat while walking around(!) :rolleyes:
Gels are developed specifically to address that, and work.
There's some dissent about that: visit http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2013/07/what-to-eat-before-during-and-after-your-workouts-races/ and browse down to "3 Reasons Not To Eat Concentrated Sugars When You’re Racing" for one view.

On the plus side, gels caused Lance Armstrong some problems, it says :laugh:

winjim

Smash the cistern
The ingredients of Hammer gels reads as such:-

Ingredients: long-chain maltodextrin, filtered water, apple juice concentrate, Energy Smart® (fruit juice, natural grain dextrins), malic acid, vanilla, cinnamon, potassium sorbate (as a preservative), sodium chloride, amino acids.

Which translates as - nice tasting sugar, with a bit of salt.
I don't think anyone claimed they were anything but.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Wasn't necessarily what I was alluding too :whistle:
...I think quite a lot of blokes treat sportives as some sort of macho w*l*y waving contest...as they aren't a race as THMNET pointed out (a challenge, enjoyable experience, chance to ride with others possibly on closed roads, get some free High 5 vile gel stuff, etc etc?)
Free? Aren't they covered by the £75 entry fee :thumbsdown:

vickster

Legendary Member
I don't know, I've never paid £75 for a sportive. I assume there is some degree of sponsorship by companies peddling their wares

vickster

Legendary Member

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I don't understand the way some people refer to gels, a gel is essentially a concentrated energy drink, it is not EPO. Use them or don't, like them or don't who gives a toss... the important thing is that you eat/drink enough so as to not do yourself any harm (and even up you do balls up and bonk big time, after someone has rescued you, you will make a recovery) and you will be fine and dandy.

FWIW, I do consume energy gels, at a rate of approx 1 every 40 mins during any race over an hour in duration. I also occasionally consume them during training, but not often, a drink is usually all I need when training for up to 3 hours.

vickster

Legendary Member
The OP asked for opinions on them, presumably never having tried one :smile: I think they are vile in taste and especially texture. I'd rather eat jelly babies

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
The OP asked for opinions on them, presumably never having tried one :smile: I think they are vile in taste and especially texture. I'd rather eat jelly babies
I think the question was "are they a benefit?" To which the answer is yes.

5 pages of yuk/bleurgh/they taste like wallpaper paste probably wasn't helpful.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Myth.

Never have any effect on me and have ridden 100 miles a day for 11 days without ever feeling the need.

Good food...or rather the right food is effective enough for me.

Edit...i have tried them on training rides....but to no effect.

Top Bottom