gels...is it a myth?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leaway2

Lycrist
We have guys that get through a litre of energy drink in a 1 hour swimming session, why? They are often the slightly shall we say heavier one's. Not saying they do not have their uses I am sure some do, but not during a short training session.

I don't think I've ever had a drink while swimming?! (well other than pool water of course xx( )

If they are all drinking a litre, I would drink as little of the pool water as possible.

ayceejay

Guru
I always get the gels to bring me a banana when I am out on my cycle.
But seriously: gels are easily assimilable sugar and ideal for the emergency bonk. A ride should be fueled by complex carbs that take longer to digest and longer to use up.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
Sportives are not-so-cleverly disguised races and should be treated as such. If you are in a fast group and enjoying it, then you ain't gonna want to peel off for a burger & chips. Nope, you will hang in there for al long as you can until your fuel runs out. Fuel up properly? Absolutely. A gel or two in your back pocket in case you get your fueling wrong = scorchio.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Sportives are not-so-cleverly disguised races and should be treated as such. If you are in a fast group and enjoying it, then you ain't gonna want to peel off for a burger & chips. Nope, you will hang in there for al long as you can until your fuel runs out. Fuel up properly? Absolutely. A gel or two in your back pocket in case you get your fueling wrong = scorchio.
Sportives by definition are not races. This isn't difficult

si_c

Guru
Hmmm... I have a thing for wine gums (whether riding or not :biggrin::biggrin:) so curious how they compare to say High5 gels.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maynards-Wine-Gums-52-Pack/dp/B006522H0S
http://highfive.co.uk/product/energy/energy-gel-2

Per 100g, the gel gives 224 calories (56g Carbs) vs 331 calories (75.4g Carbs) for the wine gums.

Wine gums are 65p for 52g in Tesco, and come in a convenient tube format for easy storage in pockets and can be half consumed and put away,
and are extremely tasty. Gels are 99p from Evans say for 38g, must be consumed in one go and taste foul.

I'm gonna stick with wine gums. Plus I don't look like a t*t eating wine gums:becool:

vickster

Legendary Member
Hmmm... I have a thing for wine gums (whether riding or not :biggrin::biggrin:) so curious how they compare to say High5 gels.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maynards-Wine-Gums-52-Pack/dp/B006522H0S
http://highfive.co.uk/product/energy/energy-gel-2

Per 100g, the gel gives 224 calories (56g Carbs) vs 331 calories (75.4g Carbs) for the wine gums.

Wine gums are 65p for 52g in Tesco, and come in a convenient tube format for easy storage in pockets and can be half consumed and put away,
and are extremely tasty. Gels are 99p from Evans say for 38g, must be consumed in one go and taste foul.

I'm gonna stick with wine gums. Plus I don't look like a t*t eating wine gums:becool:

And nor does one eating wine gums/jelly babies/jelly beans litter the countryside with non-biodegradable foil /plastic crap :thumbsup:

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Jelly Babies and Wine Gums are far superior to yukky gels. Watch out for Midget Gems though as they are much stickier and might just take a filling or two with them as you chew.
Banana, flapjack and jelly babies are our long ride food of choice.

AndyRM

XOXO
I like gels. Quick and easy and can give a welcome boost up a long hill if you time taking one right. I hate seeing the packets discarded at the side of the road, which is becoming an all too common site round the lanes of Northumberland unfortunately.

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
Surely that depends on your mindset and insecurities :whistle:
If you really want to know....I am definitely a glass half full sort of guy. Insecurities?; where to begin?! Search for 'middle child syndrome' on the webulator. I've resolved the 'identiy crisis' part and would not call myslef introverted, but can be somewhat shy from time to time, particularly around ladies (sometimes I think they want to chop em up and eat me).

Top Bottom