gels...is it a myth?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes but I have a confirmed place deferred from last year when I had to withdraw on medical advice

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Fair enough :tongue:

ayceejay

Guru
I think the myth is that you can get something from a gel that is not available elsewhere when in reality what we are talking about is the last line on the SIS packet above
Convenient gel format

I think the myth is that you can get something from a gel that is not available elsewhere when in reality what we are talking about is the last line on the SIS packet above
Convenient gel format
That last line: that's the entirety of why I carry a couple of them around just in case I run out of 'real' food. The fact that the wrapper is then inconvenient/messy to carry means I rarely eat the things, so they're excellent at their job of 'emergency rations'. (That said, I do quite like them as food, so I have been known to eat one in preference to something else, once in a while.)

Tin Pot

Guru
As you can tell because no-one can eat while walking around(!) :rolleyes:

There's some dissent about that: visit http://www.bengreenfieldfitness.com/2013/07/what-to-eat-before-during-and-after-your-workouts-races/ and browse down to "3 Reasons Not To Eat Concentrated Sugars When You’re Racing" for one view.

On the plus side, gels caused Lance Armstrong some problems, it says :laugh:

Dissent is healthy, but I prefer scientific method over opinion.

Bananas and dates were used by marathon runners because of one or two anecdotes, not scientific study. Now it's mostly because people distrust science... which is wrong.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Just drink coke like the pros.....:tongue:

DSC_0063 (Large).jpg

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
Out on club tun one glorius sunny morning, a lady rider described these gels as having the consistensy of lumpy sp*nk just as i was necking one down. Well, that put me off for a while.

Top Bottom