Get rich quick adverts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I get really fed up with all those adverts about winning loads of money if you buy a ticket for this or the other. There is only one winner and it is not the ticket buyer. I know a few do win, very few in fact, but the majority just lose their money. That's why I don't do the lottery or buy any other ticket and never buy scratch cards either. And don't come and tell me that if you don't try you don't get. I have tried in the past and never got. Enough is enough as far as I am concerned. I worked hard for what I have and I know I wasn't born to be rich. I don't care either, I am happy with the little money I have.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Lotteries are famously a tax on all the fools in creation. Mind you, t'other day I got to the pub and Daniel was in a slightly heady mood - said 'You'll never believe what's happened to John.' 'Won the lottery?' said Paul. 'You're very close,' said Daniel. Turned out his friend John had, at the age of 40-something, for the first time in his life, bought a few Premium Bonds. The very next draw he won a million quid.

tyred

Legendary Member
In a previous job many years ago I was part of a lottery syndicate for about a year. It cost IR£0.50 per panel then so each of us paid £1 for both the Wednesday and Saturday night draws. Quite often we won something small with 4 numbers or whatever but divided up between about 15 people it came to pennies. I added up that over the course of a year, my total winnings came to I think around £21 for my investment of £104. I decided to opt out.

Yes, you might win a huge prize in theory (and in theory I could win the TdF) but the odds are strongly against you....

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Its difficult not to join if your team run one, what would it be like if they won the jackpot and you weren't in it?:ohmy:

Very lonely on Monday morning.

Sharky

Guru
I get really fed up with all those adverts about winning loads of money if you buy a ticket for this or the other. There is only one winner and it is not the ticket buyer. I know a few do win, very few in fact, but the majority just lose their money. That's why I don't do the lottery or buy any other ticket and never buy scratch cards either. And don't come and tell me that if you don't try you don't get. I have tried in the past and never got. Enough is enough as far as I am concerned. I worked hard for what I have and I know I wasn't born to be rich. I don't care either, I am happy with the little money I have.

I've got the perfect solution to stopping those adverts offering to get rich quick - Just send me £10 and I'll tell you what it is.

I think the issue is that for the vast majority of people, £1m is utterly life changing. So maybe it's better to structure it so that there are 70 x £1m rather than 1 x £70m
Nope. The media around a huge win gets much more people buying tickets meaning greater prize money and greater donations to good causes.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
Thanks, you just reminded me to do the Euromillions today - I think the Jackpot is £70Mil

Wish me luck,

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yup...thanks for the reminder too. Need to get a ticket today part paid for with last week's winning ticket of £3.80 :okay:

Top Bottom