Get rich quick adverts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lullabelle

Banana
In a previous job many years ago I was part of a lottery syndicate for about a year. It cost IR£0.50 per panel then so each of us paid £1 for both the Wednesday and Saturday night draws. Quite often we won something small with 4 numbers or whatever but divided up between about 15 people it came to pennies. I added up that over the course of a year, my total winnings came to I think around £21 for my investment of £104. I decided to opt out.

Yes, you might win a huge prize in theory (and in theory I could win the TdF) but the odds are strongly against you....

Better off to put £1 or £2 a week into a piggie bank, at the end of the year you will have a lot more money then they do from their winnings.

TreeHuggery

I know its a bit off topic, but do you remember in the old days when prize shows gave prizes like a carriage clock or a tv hidden in a mock Victorian cabinet, and then, along came Who wants to be a Millionaire, and it just felt like everything got inflated.... and there was no point bothering trying for something unless the (unlikely) gains were huge -

Bianchi boy

Über Member
Not sure how the lottery works having never bought a ticket , But read somewhere that there are only 14,000,000 combinations of winning numbers so if the jackpot is 70,000,000 that sounds like a good return to me :wahhey: Dont forget where you heard it first ^_^

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
The stepson of a former colleague won 13 million back in the late nineties. He featured on a Lottery 20th anniversary TV programme and several newspaper articles last year, having been wise with his money and still having most of it.

I do it from time to time. All these "Tax on stupidity" comments you hear are just elitist nonsense. It's a cheap and harmless bit of fun with a tiny chance of the jackpot and many tiny chances of a decent little win. I prefer the excitement of the horses when it comes to sticking a wager on, however.

I know its a bit off topic, but do you remember in the old days when prize shows gave prizes like a carriage clock or a tv hidden in a mock Victorian cabinet, and then, along came Who wants to be a Millionaire, and it just felt like everything got inflated.... and there was no point bothering trying for something unless the (unlikely) gains were huge -
And don't forget 'Bullseye'.Couple of beer drinking darts players from Batley winning a.....speedboat :laugh:

TreeHuggery

And don't forget 'Bullseye'.Couple of beer drinking darts players from Batley winning a.....speedboat :laugh:
Do you remember the time when Jim Bowen asked someone what they did, they answered "unemployed" and he came back with. "Great, Super, Smashing". ...
Family Fortunes was my favourite. Name a body part that's 4 letters. "Arms, Les."........ comedy gold

Bianchi boy

Über Member
"come and have a look at what you would have won". To already totally crushed contestants. Classic Jim:cry:

subaqua

What’s the point
£70,000,000 jackpot tonight!
Who wants to win that much money? It would end up being a millstone.
Much better to offer 70 individual prizes of £1,000,000.

depends on how you go into it.

I need enough to pay the mortgage off. everything else gets given way - london air ambulance . RNLI . equal split then i can go to work and have a soft grin on me grid

Tin Pot

Guru
People in financial difficulty tend to gamble more. Fact.

I don't mind people not wanting to win the Lottery, but I frickin hate people who do and then moan about it. Why buy the fecking ticket if you don't want to win?

Lullabelle

Banana
If people want to play the lottery, fine, some spend a lot of money every week in the hope of winning because they don't have much cash, really, you can afford to spend a lot of money on the lottery but can't afford to feed your kids properly, those are the people who annoy me :angry:

Top Bottom